cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts and aliases

Boulevardier
On our wavelength

A few weeks ago, Graham_A (Very Experienced Person) said -

"Each individual email address will require a separate Mail App password for use with an email client. The only exception is if the address is an alias of another blueyonder email address."

How can I tell if any of my Blueyonder accounts are aliases of one of the others, and what difference does it make to the app password(s) if/when they are ?

Mike

26 REPLIES 26

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I know Virgin Media are not investigating any issues with Thunderbird.  It is a third party email app over which they have no control.

I believe that they are investigating an issue which a few users are having where VM webmail is not behaving as it should.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks.  So what more can I do to get my account installed?

Mike

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you already tried deleting the account from Thunderbird and then adding it again?  Take a backup copy of the relevant Thunderbird data files before doing so.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-export

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, I think every time I've added a new App password I've deleted the account and re-added it.  More, perhaps, relevant info

1. I have tried to add this account on two different computers (so two separate Thunderbird installs), and am getting the same failure on each.

2. I also cannot add the account to my Android phone

3. I have another Blueyonder account which I've successfully added (eventually) with a separate App password to both of my computers.

I don't know what more I can do to retrieve my main account.

Mike

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Boulevardier 

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about the issue with your email

We are currently aware of an ongoing issue with emails where our customers are unable to log in, we hope to have this resolved as soon as we can as our team are working flat out to have the issue resolved. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Just to update. I generated a new App password for the problem account and waited for about an hour. Then I re-added the account with the new password and exactly the same settings as I've been trying for weeks, and bingo, the password was accepted and the account installed.  It then also installed unproblematically on my other computer and on my Android phone I had to restart the phone to get the account showing properly).

I think there must have been something screwed up with the App passwords system that has now been put right (for me at least).  Now, time will tell whether it all continues to work...

Mike

Thanks for the update Boulevardier and glad to hear the password reset and reboot resolved the issue for you.

Rob