cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts and aliases

Boulevardier
On our wavelength

A few weeks ago, Graham_A (Very Experienced Person) said -

"Each individual email address will require a separate Mail App password for use with an email client. The only exception is if the address is an alias of another blueyonder email address."

How can I tell if any of my Blueyonder accounts are aliases of one of the others, and what difference does it make to the app password(s) if/when they are ?

Mike

26 REPLIES 26

Okay this means there is an issue for Thunderbird, I would make sure this is fully updated and if possible delete and re enter the account details.

If it is working on everything apart from that there is something going on with this. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

OK.  Ithink what I will do is uninstall Thunderbird from the computer completely and then re-install it.  That should ensure that any corruption in Thunderbird is eliminated and that it is fully up to date.  I will then add the accounts one by one to Thunderbird on computer.   I will also delete the address from the Android and re-add it after I've got it  back on the computer.  Does that sound like a good idea?

Mike

You would only need to do this for Thuderbird, the rest are working so that's a good sign.

Please do keep us updated. 

We are also aware of a new issue with the emails which I think could be affecting you. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

"We are also aware of a new issue with the emails which I think could be affecting you. Cheers"

Are you able to expand on that at all?  Just to avoid wasting my time re-doing everything.  No point me running around in circles to put it right if it's caused by an issue that you are working on. Should I wait until you have investigated this latest issue?  It's all taking huge amounts of my time!

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Mike

Right now the issue is mailbox unavailable / unable to send/compose/delete emails.

I think it with just being Thunderbird related it could be part of the unavailable issue, either way with everything working its pointing to this software. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Is there any way I'll know when you've fixed it?

Right now I couldn't tell you a fix but I imagine the  team will be looking to get this fixed ASAP.

You could also feel free to pop back in a few days. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Investigating further, I got my IP address from the DuckDuckGo.com app, and put that into “Search” on the Spamhaus Project .  It returned the result that the IP address has one listing on a blocklist.  Could this be my problem?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Boulevardier It depends on what Blocklist is mentioned.  If it is a PBL list then all residential broadband IPs should be on the PBL and it won't impact on the way your email works.

You can read more about blocklists here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have now tried three App password changes for one of my accounts, and none of them were accepted.  I did wait for over 20 minutes after generating the password before re-adding the account.  I also closed and re-opened thunderbird before adding.  There does seem to a problem with how the App passwords are working (or not working).

What can I do now to get my account back?  Is VM still investigating problems with Thunderbird, and if so is there an expected timescale for fixing it?

Mike