cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account keeps getting locked out?

martyp
Fibre optic

My email account keeps getting locked out. I figured it seems to be when I forward phishing emails to report@phishing.gov.uk to report them.

I've always done this, why has it started locking my account out now? I'm trying to report them to get them stopped and it's locking my account out all the time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I used to selectively forward the worst of the spam emails to the .gov.uk address in the same way. I use a small hosting company for my email. I found that my forwarded emails were getting blocked by the hosting company's systems. When I pointed this out to them they said that they block spam emails from being forwarded from their servers in case their servers are flagged up as sources of spam and end up getting blacklisted by others. True or not, I don't know, but the .gov.uk phishing address is no longer getting spam emails from me either as a result.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi martyp 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're being locked out of your email when forwarding emails. Can you please confirm how you're connecting to emails? Is it via the Virgin Media Web Mail, or via a 3rd-party app such as iOS Mail, Outlook, etc?

Do you see any specific error message, or error page when trying to access the account?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

iceboy1952
Tuning in

All sorted now thanks..They cancelled my direct debit by mistake. But she restarted it and my payment has been taken, so no cut off..Thanks for your quick reply though.😊

martyp
Fibre optic

Hi Reece,

It comes up saying my account has been hacked and to change my password. I noticed it seems to happen after I forward those phishing emails so I assume it is detecting outbound phishing emails being sent.

Now all I am getting is a blank page with forbidden at the top even though I have changed my password at My Virginmedia.

I'm going to mail.virginmedia.com

(Glad your issue has been resolved iceboy 😀)

When you account is locked and you change your password as advised. 

Please wait a full 20 minutes before accessing the email account again as this can cause the account to lock again. 

Please let me know if changing the password and waiting 20 minutes before accessing has resolved the issue or if you are still being locked out when forwarding email. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

martyp
Fibre optic

Hi Carley,

I changed my Virginmedia account and webmail password about 2 hours ago. I just tried accessing it on my computer and it says 'Forbidden' on there as well. Just a blank white page with Forbidden at the top.

I tried accessing it directly and I tried via my Virginmedia account which is fine and the same.

I have just changed my App Password again as that's the only thing I didn't do.

A bit frustrating though as the password I set was really secure and not used anywhere else and I work in IT so keep my computer very secure. I like to forward all dodgy e-mails to report@phishing.gov.uk

If I can't do that anymore I'll have to not help support the Cybercrime Unit in stopping such e-mails.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I used to selectively forward the worst of the spam emails to the .gov.uk address in the same way. I use a small hosting company for my email. I found that my forwarded emails were getting blocked by the hosting company's systems. When I pointed this out to them they said that they block spam emails from being forwarded from their servers in case their servers are flagged up as sources of spam and end up getting blacklisted by others. True or not, I don't know, but the .gov.uk phishing address is no longer getting spam emails from me either as a result.

Thanks for trying this @martyp 

Just to confirm, you can access your emails fine on all devices except your computer? You mention you can access via 'Virgin media account which is fine and the same.'

Can you try clearing your computer of cache and cookies to see if the Forbidden error is resolved on your computer? 

Do you only ever get locked out when you forward emails to the 1 email address or does it happen on different emails you forwards to other address as well? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley, it's working now thankyou.

Annoying as well it cancels the auto forward on there too so have to re-enable that as well each time.

I'll just have to stop forwarding phishing emails on now the same as goslow.

Good to hear this is now working for you martyp, thanks for letting us know.
Alex_Rm