Menu
emaildelivery
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

503 rate limiting - who to contact?

I work for an email service provider and one of our customers is receiving constant bounces of the format "503 Hourly ratelimit for your IP exceeded". 

I haven't been able to find any details on how many concurrent connections or how many messages per connection are accepted by VM servers. Where can I find this information?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 503 rate limiting - who to contact?

Flagged to the forum team as they are best placed to take this forward; be aware it can take them a few hour / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, in order to try to get to the bottom of this there is a few things from them to check.

1. Is it always to the same addresses
2. Is it always within the same hour - if they wait until the next hour can they then send to those addresses
3. If it is to all addresses then if they wait until the next hour are they then able to send to those addresses

1 and 2 together indicate that it is the recipient's ISP or some other point at their end (SPAM firewall?) that has the restriction.

3 indicates that it is probably either their ISP or other point at their end end (SPAN Firewall?) with the restriction.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
emaildelivery
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The bounces occur anytime mail is sent to a recipient at ntlworld.com, virginmedia.com, virgin.net, blueyonder.co.uk or any other Virgin Media domain. This would seem to indicate Virgin Media is the one throttling the mail. Here is the format of the SMTP responses:

421 4.1.1 logid=SMTPRC 421 MXIN503 Hourly ratelimit for your IP exceeded ;id=AWVhjLA2wxWCGAWVijB69A;sid=AWVhjLA2wxWCG;mta=mx11.tb;d=20200307;t=111646[CET];ipsrc=xx.xx.xx.xx

Thanks,

Brad 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi emaildelivery,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry for the service issue and the delayed reply. 

I've emailed our internet security team regarding this matter and when I hear back, I'll let you know.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"