cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd email account unable to change/reset password

paul2621
Joining in

Hi all

looking at other posts it seems it is now impossible to change/reset password on 2nd email account , could someone from the team change my password manually please as this must be the only way to reset.

many thanks

Paul

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul2621 wrote:

it is now impossible to change/reset password on 2nd email account

That's not true.

As long as you know the existing password you can change an email account password for any VM email account. All secondary email accounts now have their own My Virgin Media Account and you can reset /change the password as follows:

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the email account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

If you do not know the existing password you could try the "Forgotten password" option - https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  However, that relies on there being a "Password recovery question " set in the email's MVM account so it may well fail.

If you are a VM broadband customer, one of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can get the password reset for you. One of the team will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @paul2621,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

What @coenoby stated is correct, if you follow the steps they have provided you would be able to go about getting this changed yourself, if you still require further assistance do let us know and we can look into this further for you.

Cheers. Joe

Hi

i have followed the steps as stated and eventually had to call through to the team  and have my 2nd email account unlocked and password reset and worked fine for a couple of days but yesterday it got locked again, so any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Paul

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul2621 wrote:

worked fine for a couple of days but yesterday it got locked again, so any help would be appreciated 

VirginMedia usually seem to remain tight lipped as to their reasons for locking a specific email account. However, the assumption has to be that they (or their automated security system) is continuing to detect some suspicious activity with that email account

All you can do is to go through the same process as before:

1. Try resetting the password yourself to see if you can unlock the account yourself
  2. Then, if that does not work, get VM to unlock it again.

However,  I would suggest taking a couple of steps to try to prevent it happening again:

• Run a full antivirus scan of the devices that you use to access that email account. You could also consider running a second scan with Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/free-antivirus That may well find malware that your regular AV product misses, Malwarebytes offer a free trial of their full product and you do not have to provide credit card details upfront to download it. They do nag you to upgrade but you can easily uninstall the free version once it has done it's job.
  • Also. once you have regained access to the email account you should check through the Webmail account for evidence that a hacker has gained access to it. In particular, check whether any filter rules or auto forwarding has been set up and delete any you do not recognise.

To check for filter rules and auto forwarding on the email account, sign into your webmail account and follow the steps below by clicking on icons marked 1, 2 and 3 as they come up. If there is auto forwarding set up on the account it will show in the list of filter rules.  Use the "dustbin" icon at the far right to delete any rules or auto forwarding that you don't recognise.

filter rules steps.png

One of the Forum Team should be able to help if necessary but I don't think they (or any VM staff) will be in a position to guarantee that the account will not be locked again.

The advice I have just given is pretty much what I would expect VM to give you.

There are a couple of other things you can do to try to make your email account as secure as possible but I'll leave it there for the moment.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey paul2621, thank you for reaching out and a warm  welcome to the community I am sorry to hear your email has been locked again.

I am going to send you a PM to look into this, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?