Menu
stanb200
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

123-reg Emails

Hopefully not duplicating questions here, looked and can't find anything similar to mine.

Have used 123-reg email forwarding for ages with Virgin Media and largely have no issues with it. I have however over the past couple of months seen an uptick in the number of companies contacting me to say my email is not working.

Most recently I had an email about a week ago to renew a service, today I received a letter from them telling me that my email address was not working and needed to be updated. This is similar to what I have seen with a number of other companies. Wouldnt worry too much, but I have been removed from a few mailing lists because they've "not been able to get hold of" me.

I am assuming the issue is that either Virgin either arent acknowledging the email itself OR there is a problem whereby its coming from the wrong server or address. My knowledge of email is limited, so not sure what else to do other than mad googling, but cant see anything. Any ideas?

As its forwarded and a widely used service, I'm assuming I cant be the only one with this problem.

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 123-reg Emails

The subject of traffic volumes between 123-reg and VM is a recurring problem area. Read this thread from late last year which took from November 2019 through January 2020 to resolve -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Long-Delay-receiving-emails-forwarded-from-123-reg/td-p/4...

Did you not experience any problems at that time? Or is that approximately when you were being deleted from mailing lists – probably without your knowledge?

Theoretically what should happen with email delivery delays is -

a) If someone sends you an email which cannot be delivered due to excessive traffic volumes between two points it should be placed in a queue for a future transmission attempt

b) if the transfer fails on the next attempt, it goes on to a longer Q

c) and so on until eventually a Non-Delivery-Report is returned to sender with a message to that effect.

d) on receipt of this the sender could interpret that as – something wrong with your email address – or could just delete you from the circulation list and make no further attempts to contact you.

Can you confirm that you have experienced such delays between 123-reg and VM after limits were raised back in late January? And can you establish any dates or times?

0 Kudos
stanb200
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me, I did see that thread but (maybe naively) assumed this wasnt my problem. My major issue with it being that generally I dont see any delays on lags in email. I remember an incident a while ago where nothing was getting through, but that was well documented on 123-reg support and therefore thought that to be a one-off that was fixed fairly quickly.

So I couldnt say when or how this started. I know I've been getting little cards from Tesco for years telling me about my dodgy email address, but I kind of chalked that down to a tesco thing and not a me thing. But certainly in the past 3 weeks I've had 3 companies contact me along the same lines, the specific issue there being they were all about annual renewals, and as a matter of course, I wouldnt expect emails from them otherwise, so it could've been going on for months or more, I admit, but have no means of chasing that back. But certainly it "seems like" I've had the issue for well over a year.

Sorry appreciate its vague, but thats all I got. If it is what it is, then fair enough, but just assumed this was something else.

Cheers

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

BillC45 is right. But there is an underlying issue. Using a forwarding service with VM mail as the destination address is now very risky because of the way that forwarding breaks the process by which mail is authenticated by recipient ISPs to check that it does come from the sender it purports to come from. What gets broken is the sender policy framework check (SPF). VM have over time increasingly applied stricter checks to incoming mail because of the vast amount of spam that users seem to be receiving.  VM's general practice is to use greylisting to stop spam. If mail fails authentication checks VM tend to refuse to accept it until the sender server just gives up. 

So you have a problem. Using 123reg may not be in your best interest if you are forwarding to your VM address. You must draw your own conclusions. VM are not at fault here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks