ALF28
Well-informed
Message 11 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: spelling checker in posts

spell checker not working on my other laptop either tonight

spell checker switched on english/usa in edge

only works randomly and tonigh failed completely

example if I spell a word wrong it is not picked up    -arangement  (should have 2 r's) not picked up

I seem to be the only one with this problem?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep

Arangement or Arrangement - working fine here on any browser  its your system at fault.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 19.09.55.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 13 of 24
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the check, I will dig deeper on my sysem for answers or try an alternative browser, I think firefox may work as I added a spell checker extension,the only one that may be reliable as it has the spell checker add on extension to do the job, also had probelems with google chrome.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 14 of 24
Flag for a moderator

ARRANGEMENT Re: spelling checker in posts

spell checker 

google chrome works if enhanced mode spell checking selected with grey  line under wrong spellings

also added spell checker for chrome which gives correct spellings as you type (I need this my spelling depends on it)

given up on microsoft edge, can not get spell checker working

Checked all settings including windows keyboard which had switched off the spelling feature, my setting seem to have changed for some reason brightness went to maximum, remote was switched on in systems and my antivirus would not update so had to reinstall it.

Although I use browser guard switching it off did nothing so was not interfering with spell checking

All antivirus scans clear but doing some full scans including msrt, suspect malware but can not find any yet.

The "red line" I used to get under wrong spellings just occasionally works but rarely.

will try firefox next.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 15 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: ARRANGEMENT Re: spelling checker in posts

SOLVED

FIREFOX Browser  IS THE WINNER by far, recommended in earlier post by a member.

Only the Firefox browser gives a clear red line for wrong spellings-so will use that now as default browser.

Not solved -spell checker not working in Microsoft Edge- unknown problems???

Google Chrome will work but puts a grey line under wrong spellings, hard to see it and requires the enhanced spell  checker for it to work

previously spell checker worked well on all browsers with red line, so something must have changed on my two laptops/systems

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 16 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

or, more likely, chrome has updated and decided to use a grey line now.
try googling - https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/42424902?hl=en

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 17 of 24
Flag for a moderator

WATERFOX BROWSER- another good browser for posting, related  to Firefox browser

Thanks for info on google chrome, there seems to be spell checking problems with chrome based browsers (on my laptops) and reading the chrome thread confirms this

I have downloaded  Waterfox, a spinoff from Firefox designed for 64 bit so fast and the spellcheck works fine with red line corrections.

It was mentioned by a member in  this thread that Waterfox does work with posting/spell checking, so I have conformed this now.

My malware checks seem to be clean and doing full scans with avast to be sure. Also tried the Avast browser, but based on chrome so spell check fails also.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 18 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28,

Google chrome works with red underlining if you uncheck enhanced mode spell checking, and just click on basic spell check 

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 19 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Have tried that already, the fault must be specific to my computers, it is the default setting you mention basic spell check and worked previously on both my laptops but now will not work on either in both chrome and edge.

Reason unknown  which is mysterious, only Firefox and Waterfox will spell check on my laptops, working now in in Waterfox with red line.

Have solved the problem by switching browser but the issue is unresolved and strange other people can still use chrome to spell check unless the version is different  

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 20 of 24
Flag for a moderator

note my laptops are both windows 10

not using Chromebook or android

google chrome has always been dodgy with windows 10, and at one time would not work at all, some time back as windows used to block it.

0 Kudos