Menu
LukmanChowdhury
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

slap in the face for loyalty?

i don't understand Virgin media's idea of rewarding loyalty. 

if you're able to offer me a cheaper rate over an 18 month period if i cancel for 1 (or 3) months and come back as a new customer, why not just offer me something half way between the existing customer rate and the new customer rate that would tempt me from disconnecting for a bit?

Also, had a call yesterday from virgin to see what my current usage was and if they could offer me an upgrade... was amusing. they offered me an upgrade package... it would have worked out to at least £20 more expensive than what new customers are presently being offered.... come on Virgin, i have my stupid moments but even in those i'd not call someone out of the blue, offer an upgrade than make it less attractive than what everyone else is being offered. 

I am presently paying double the monthly rate in comparison to my neighbour who is getting three times the speed for half the money (and he's getting some tv package on top). 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: slap in the face for loyalty?

If your paying double what your neighbour is paying then it sounds like their business model works and your their ideal customer

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@LukmanChowdhury wrote:

if you're able to offer me a cheaper rate over an 18 month period if i cancel for 1 (or 3) months and come back as a new customer, why not just offer me something half way between the existing customer rate and the new customer rate that would tempt me from disconnecting for a bit?

The majority of documented cases do seem to get a figure somewhere in this ballpark.

@LukmanChowdhury wrote:

I am presently paying double the monthly rate in comparison to my neighbour who is getting three times the speed for half the money (and he's getting some tv package on top). 

Without knowing the exact combination of services you have, quotes of "double this" and "three times that" are largely meaningless - loyal customers stay with a provider even if they're not necessarily the cheapest for particular services.

Ofcom actively encourage customers to switch providers to get cheaper deals.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LukmanChowdhury
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i'm not with them at the rate because the model works, i'm presently with them because i don't have a BT line (and can't presently get one). however, as soon as my present contract comes to an end, i will be leaving for a month, relying on mobile broadband, and then returning. 

0 Kudos
LukmanChowdhury
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"The majority of documented cases do seem to get a figure somewhere in this ballpark."

perhaps i've just been unlucky every time virgin have offered me a new contract / renewal at every address i've been at. 

"Without knowing the exact combination of services you have, quotes of "double this" and "three times that" are largely meaningless - loyal customers stay with a provider even if they're not necessarily the cheapest for particular services."

no need to be the cheapest, but it'd be nice if they offered something that wasn't as hiked up (we'd disagree on this given you believe the majority of documented cases demonstrate figures being in the reasonable ballpark). as i mentioned to the other poster, i'm with virgin not necessarily because i choose to be but because i don't have a BT line

Virgin are an awesome service provider, i do appreciate that - perhaps even the best when it comes to broadband. that's not my issue.. my issue is more about them being unable/unwilling to offer existing customers a better deal... and then calling them up to offer an upgrade, at a significantly higher rate than a new customer would get. 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was happy with 100mb and landline phone for £70 pm and was in the middle of trying to sort things out under very trying circumstances, so in that respect, I too am (or at least was) and ideal customer too.  My late mother was also happy with this arrangement and said it was good value for money.  I'm on a new contract now and am paying half the price as a new customer.  VM lose out for 2 years, and when out of contract it works out at £10 a month less than original.  Feel free to look other posts I've made regarding this.

Cheers.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi if you go down the thinking of leaving us route and talk to retentions, it can be the luck of the draw if that particular person offers you a good deal, I had an issue as an existing customer and managed to get a good deal. Regards Micky
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is NO such thing as loyalty, being an ISP is a cut throat business.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
LukmanChowdhury
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

true but i used to pay for my mother's broadband with Sky... whilst they were no match for virgin's speeds there was no need to play mind games with them come renewal... told them i wasn't keen on renewing for increased rates but i'd prefer the convenience of staying with them and they'd match whatever my existing price was... was on the same starting price for about 10 years without once having to threaten to leave

0 Kudos