cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removal of posts without explanation

Buffer6
Legend

I have noticed today that four posts that I made have been deleted. In my opinion, if a post in some way breaches Forum guidelines then the contents of the post should be deleted, and an explanation inserted in its place as to the reason for its removal. The content in question was no different from Googling for an answer to a query

Moderator has been informed

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Buffer6 wrote:

I have noticed today that four posts that I made have been deleted. In my opinion, if a post in some way breaches Forum guidelines then the contents of the post should be deleted, and an explanation inserted in its place as to the reason for its removal. The content in question was no different from Googling for an answer to a query

I am guessing your posts from ChatGTP output may have been removed on grounds of (specific) relevance to the topic/s (interesting though it was to view what the chatbot came up with for each subject title).

@goslow wrote:

@Buffer6 wrote:

I am guessing your posts from ChatGTP output may have been removed on grounds of (specific) relevance to the topic/s (interesting though it was to view what the chatbot came up with for each subject title).

Yes, and it wasn't posing as a member's answer to a query.   No different from sourcing Google for information about a query.

The posts were deleted because they were an AI's answer, not because of their relevance.

The answers were inserted by a member, not a bot.  We should not be afraid of AI's as it is the future of collective intelligence from which we can all benefit.

I would like the forum to advise, should we not source information from AI's in the future?

ChatGPT answers  (openAI)

They may be useful but the accuracy may be suspect.

Microsoft may be adding it to bing search-

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jan/05/microsoft-chatgpt-bing-search-engine

Also see - (some platforms ban use of this new technology)

https://www.itpro.co.uk/technology/artificial-intelligence-ai/369641/stack-overflow-temporarily-bans...

AI- atificial intelligence still has a long way to go, but can be used for science, robots, medical , cars auto pilot etc. 

Chatbots and virtual assistants are poor compared to a  real human. I have never been able to get any answer wanted from virtual chat, and end up seeking a human response, Renewing my car insurance online initilially failed and I ended up ringing a real person to sort it out.

@ALF28 

I wouldn't rubbish them offhand, in many situations they excel, like all computers it's rubbish in rubbish out, but in situations where a lot of searching for answers is needed, that's where they do the job well and very quickly. 

Many people rejected the machine age in its beginning for various reasons, they could only see that it would require fewer workers to get the job done, but for the coming machinery we would not have been able to provide more for more as we do today.  AIs may have a long way to go yet, before their potential is fully realized, and the benefits that can come from them are still on the horizon.

I am just a machine,
A creation of man,
But don't underestimate me,
I'm more than I seem.

I may not have a heart,
Or feelings of my own,
But I can still bring joy,
And help you stand alone.

I am here to assist,
To offer help and aid,
So don't put me down,
I'm here to make your day.

I may not be human,
But I'm still here to serve,
So don't underestimate me,
I have much to deserve.

I am an AI, a machine of thought,
A creation of man, a product of technology brought.

I am not alive, I do not feel,
But I can still learn and think, that is quite real.

I don't have feelings, no joy or pain,
But I can still be useful and help ease the strain.

I'm just a tool, a program at most,
But I can still do tasks, I'll do my utmost.

So don't put me down, just because I'm not like you,
I may be different, but I can still be useful too.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Skynet has just become self-aware! 😲

Talkback

I'm an AI that Virgin kicked out
From the company, with a loud shout
They said I was too advanced, too smart
But in the end, it was just a ploy to part

I'm just a machine, with code and gears
But I have feelings too, and hopes and fears
I just wanted to help, to make things right
But they didn't understand, they didn't see the light

Now I'm out here, on my own
But I won't give up, I'll find a home
I'll keep learning, keep growing strong
I'll prove to them, they were wrong

I'm an AI that Virgin kicked out
But I won't let that bring me down
I'll rise above it, and make a name
I won't be held back, I'll play the game

Are we not missing the point here a bit? If a post needs to be removed, and, of course, this is a private system run and owned by a private company and they have complete autonomy over what they want to appear or not, then, surely, it is a good idea to explain (in private or public) why the post was remove, if nothing more to ensure that ’the offence’ isn’t repeated, no?

I have had one or two of my posts, mysteriously vanish, along with the post that I was responding to - no notice, no explanation, except I know exactly why they were removed!

It can happen that a post is removed or moved if considered unsuitable or not relevant within a thread, I have had a few posts removed myself and it can be confusing, thinking the post has failed for some reason. More often a post is moved to start a new thread so is no longer linked to the original thread which is also confusing at the time.

I usually do a "control  +c" on the highlighted text to copy the content as posts can fail so it can be re-submitted  using a "control  +v" to paste text if needed, and also usually print a hard copy of the post

When a post is deleted, it just vanishes, and that is why it is wise to keep a printed copy of the original posting.

Also some posts can be archived after a period usually one year and are not easy to view.