Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

printing page numbers

PRINTING PROBLEM

I have 2 printers,  epson and hp, both no longer add page numbers to the bottom of pages. Also when the document is viewed, no page numbers show, so hard to pick one page out to print.

If printing a single community post that can be done in the options, but if the full thread is printed for a page then the sheets are not numbered and if they get mixed up can not put them in page order as they are printed with no page numbers.

This problem affects all my printing now but until recently I always had page numbers.

Any solutions please, not sure what has changed?

alf28

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: printing page numbers

Check your browser settings when you go to print. In Chrome, for example, there is a tick box in the print popup window to turn on/off headers and footers which will remove the URL and page no. in the footer (should be on by default).

Also check the default paper size and default margin settings for the printer(s) if all your printing is affected.

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: printing page numbers

PAGE NUMBERS

goslow

Slow myself at solving this problem, took ages, have had some progress.

I ensured the headers and footers were ticked, paper size correct and tried different margins and checked printer firmware.

My efforts have some success as follows-

Epson all in one  printer-

It now works perfectly on Google Chrome browser and the Microsoft Edge browser, showing page numbers on the right bottom. The Firefox browser was cutting of part of the page number so  instead of 1/4 prints 4 left bottom and adjusting margins has no effect but  found the problem was the paper alignment, the paper was not positioned fully to the right side of the printer paper chute, so that solved that issue.

HP all in one printer-

This has bigger problems, will not show page numbering on Google Chrome browser or Microsoft Edge browser and I have tried altering margins and other setting but  still has the same issue. However, the page numbering does work on the  Firefox browser and show 1/4 clearly on the left bottom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So when printing from a browser each one is different and each printer can behave differently also, some show page numbers and so do not even though the print view shows the page numbers.

-----------------------------------------------

Perhaps the results are more consistent  when using packages like word or email clients, I do get page numbering on emails (thunderbird) on both printers now after ticking headers and footers, but looking at my printed emails the page numbering stopped from 8/4/2021 and worked before that and now working so somehow the headers and footers in printing switched off for the last 2.5 months (perhaps when the browsers updated) and although perhaps not a major issue I have spent time sorting the page orders when the printers have shot the prints on the floor as they often do.

Your suggestions have helped me sort the page numbering for the Epson printer all now working,  and the only browser for the HP printer is the Firefox browser.

Still unusual that the HP printer will not paginate with the widely used browsers of chrome and edge so that still remains a puzzle but may be linked to the browser(s) rather than the printer, the HP printer all in one uses the smart app and does not mention page numbering, headers and footers

alf28

0 Kudos