Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

bill increase

Hi, so first time doing this and after some advice..

I have been on the Bigger Bundle package since last November with a free movies package for six months
My package started at £48 per month, then when my movies add on was due to end received a message saying good news your package wont change until the end of the year (free movies still).

But the following month my package price changed to £59 per month, wasn't to fussed as home more due to covid.
then last month my package went up to £67 per month and from next month goes up to £98!!

Can they change the price just like that?

Looked online and both Virgin and sky were doing the same package for £57 per month, so as my contract was due to end called up and asked what is the best price if i renewed with Virgin. After eventually getting through to retentions, after a long chat was told best price was £76 as i was an existing customer couldn't  get the new customer deal that was just to attract new business.

I mentioned that because of being out of work at the moment I couldn't afford the price increase and was told to basically leave and then re-join with the new customer discount....

I thought Virgin was one of the companies that have made a commitment to Ofcom in September to give existing customers access to new customer prices...

Anyway, just phoned back today to check my leaving date as not listed on contract and asked about any offers just encase any different and again told best price £76, I mentioned Sky were doing similar package for £54 and basically told that's good nothing we can do!! was then told when I leave I can't re-join on the "new deal" until after 60 days and If I don't return the tivo box before re-connection I will be charged..

After reading other messages seams this is quite normal.

Does anyone know if Virgin have actually agreed to match "old for new" customer prices yet as committed to Ofcom? would love to know..

Any help, advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: bill increase

As I understand it, VM were one of the few companies who DIDN'T agree to offer existing customers the same prices as new customers.  Obviously because Ofcom are USELESS they just said, "oh, that's OK then".

Note that being willing to offer new customer prices to existing doesn't necessarily mean renewal quotes will be at new customer prices and you won't have to haggle - but at least the option's there for those who know.  VM, however, can and do charge what they like, and choose to restrict new customer prices to new customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

From the Times

Virgin resists Ofcom pressure to offer loyal customers same broadband deals as switchers

Virgin Media is refusing to offer loyal broadband customers the same deals as switchers despite pressure from Ofcom.

The company, which claims to offer some of the fastest broadband speeds in Britain, is one of the few remaining large providers that reserve their cheapest deals for new customers. Longstanding Virgin Media users pay about £52 a year more than people on new contracts.

EE, Plusnet, BT, Sky and TalkTalk allow existing customers access to all new deals, the regulator said. With Virgin, you may need to switch to another company and then switch back to get the cheapest offers.

So it looks like be prepared to swop companies.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

despite pressure from Ofcom

You have to wonder who told The Times that garbage?  My day job is senior level in a heavily regulated industry, and I have prior experience in two totally different regulated sectors.  In all of those other sectors, the regulator is officious, demanding, and customer oriented, and levies stringent penalties for poor standards.  The standing joke for regulated companies is "I wish we were regulated by Ofcom!".  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos