Menu
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

bill increase- a liberty

so VM send out a letter saying my monthly bill is going up £4.50

normal bill with discounts is £79.50.. this months bill has just arrived. £86.. now my GCSE maths tells me £79.50 plus £4.50 = £84 so where did the extra charge of £2 come from.. highway robbery . and why is it VM can offer a shed load of discounts for new customers but loyal customers get diddly squat. The latest insult is if you have crap wifi in your house they can give you s wifi extender ( not the boosters but a new product thats a little plug in pyramid shaped thing... yet for suppling you with poor signal due to there rubbish hardware they want to charge an extra fiver a month for it.

so for £86 as a 15 year customer i get 350mb, weekend only calls, and full house bundle ( no movies, sports or any extra channels.

new customer can get 500mb broadband, unlimited sim, maxit tv with sky sports ,kids and sky cinema and talk more anytime. plus aforementioned wifi extender for FREE. the Price £79 a month.

( free activation /setup too and free upgrade to 600mb coming soon ) 

really not good enough VM. start treating your existing customers fairly 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: bill increase- a liberty

as always, if the price is not to your liking then take your business elsewhere.
also, the new customer deal is a DISCOUNTED price, their price returns to the normal price after the minimum term, just like the new customer deal you would have got when you joined 15 years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No customer likes a price rise, but VM's commercial strategy is subject to no regulation, so those of us who don't like it can either phone and negotiate a discount, or cancel and take their business to BT or Sky.  

Regarding the change from boosters to the new "pods", the boosters were always chargeable except to those on the premium packages, pods are no different, and at a technology level they're far superior to the previous boosters.  But anybody paying to rent the pods can't do maths, because they'd be better off buying their own wifi mesh system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Phone and negotiate is the option I take when my 'loyalty' discount comes to an end. I have commented on the inflation-busting price increase elsewhere. I too think it's a bit rich in the midst of a world crisis to jack up prices so much.

If you have a package, you could look to slim it down if any part is no longer required. It is an option I have taken in the past with both BT and Sky entertainment packages. 

0 Kudos
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately not all of us have the luxury of switching to another provider , sky is no go as cannot put dish up due to regulations in area , BT is a waste of space here. and yes im fully aware the new customer deals is a reduced price for 18 months, but in 18 months time it will be a case of re negotiating again, hardly rocket science is it. would rather have 18 months with a much better package and lower price than carry on paying more for less indefinitely but theres always some smart arse who comments with the usual unintelligent forum grunt of if ya dont like it leave then because they have nothing useful to say

as for downgrading ive done that twice in past 3 years . weekend only phone and downgrading tv actually increases the bill as you lose package discount, same with the broadband. 

The boosters were / are free if you have poor wifi in your home ( using the VM wifi app if it detects rubbish signal you can get them for free without being on premium package.

0 Kudos
Jack_Pott
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

'Take your business elsewhere' you say.

Ha ha, have you tried getting through to Virgin Media cancellations recently?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

me? no as i don't want/need to cancel.

but other who do have that desire have been able to using 2 options

1) call cancellations (best time usually 8am)
2) write to them at the address mentioned in the Ts&Cs of your contract.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I hope this does not go down as smart arse forum grunt but this might just help as a work-around to get some Sky without a dish. https://www.uswitch.com/tv/guides/do-you-need-a-satellite-dish-for-sky/

If anyone knows if you can get broadband without using either Virgin or BT networks at all, perhaps they would let us know. As it is, I think we have to settle for one or the other. 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you have a choice of virgin or an openreach based ISP (not necessarily BT).
also, depending on location you may have access to other ISPs that have their own network.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, to be clear, Openreach is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BT.

While you can choose an ISP other than BT on the Openreach network, the choice of network is either VM or a wholly-owned BT subsidiary. As far as I am aware, there are no other networks.

0 Kudos