cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant i get the offer advertised on TV?

Trav819
Joining in

My contract comes to an end in June, i pay £28 now, which will increase to £51 in June. I get bb m100 and phone. I rang today and the best deal they could come up with was £41. Then I saw an advert on TV for £22, why can I not get that offer? I thought it was made illegal to offer new customer deals and not offer the same deal to everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @Trav819 

It isn't illegal. Please see the following thread.

Using-Offcom-ruling-that-came-in-Feb-2020-end-of-contract-rights 

If you aren't happy with the prices offered then phone again, you might get a better deal but don't expect to receive new customer pricing again, you've already had that as your initial new customer deal. 

Have some figures for other providers handy too to use as a negotiating weapon.

Retentions are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

The actual prices can vary on a day to day basis, if you are happy with the price quoted then accept it as it may not be available again.  If you do accept the new price and then change your mind then you have 14 days to call back and cancel the new deal and revert back to your old package and then place your cancellation notice.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Trav819 wrote:

My contract comes to an end in June, i pay £28 now, which will increase to £51 in June. I get bb m100 and phone. I rang today and the best deal they could come up with was £41.

In other words... "I'm on a £51/month contract, and my £23/month discount expires in June. I've been offered a £10/month discount instead".

You've not said which phone tier you're on to aid comparisons, but that £22/month deal very likely includes an introductory discount which will only last 18months.

@Trav819 wrote:

I thought it was made illegal to offer new customer deals and not offer the same deal to everyone.

Not quite - you're probably thinking of https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2020/companies-must-tell-customers-... 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @Trav819 

It isn't illegal. Please see the following thread.

Using-Offcom-ruling-that-came-in-Feb-2020-end-of-contract-rights 

If you aren't happy with the prices offered then phone again, you might get a better deal but don't expect to receive new customer pricing again, you've already had that as your initial new customer deal. 

Have some figures for other providers handy too to use as a negotiating weapon.

Retentions are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

The actual prices can vary on a day to day basis, if you are happy with the price quoted then accept it as it may not be available again.  If you do accept the new price and then change your mind then you have 14 days to call back and cancel the new deal and revert back to your old package and then place your cancellation notice.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali