Menu
steyeehee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Why Virgin Media charge Loyal long term customers more than new customers

@virginmedia You charge long term customers more than new customers?
Had Virgin Media over 15 yrs. My contract ends 13-Jun. Called VM & best they offered was £73.50 which is a 10.5% increase from last year!

New customers for exact same package offered £62.50! I’m cancelling! So should you!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why Virgin Media charge Loyal long term customers more than new customers

New customer deals always include an introductory discount.  Once that expires the standard price applies.

It is often possible to get a discount from the standard price after the initial contact expires, but these will rarely be as large as introductory discounts.

The same applies with insurance companies, utility companies, any business you have an ongoing relationship with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@steyeehee wrote:

@virginmedia You charge long term customers more than new customers?
Had Virgin Media over 15 yrs. My contract ends 13-Jun. Called VM & best they offered was £73.50 which is a 10.5% increase from last year!

New customers for exact same package offered £62.50! I’m cancelling! So should you!

So what is the "standard" charge for your package.  Is it £73.50 ? - if so what package is it?  If its not - what is the normal charge for that package.  A 10.5% increase suggests you were paying ~£62.50 for it over the past year - so was that as a "new customer" again - or did you have a "loyalty discount" applied which has just ended? 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
steyeehee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I currently pay £66.50.  Last year they told me that my package should be £95.33 with their promotions.  They applied a £28.83 a month discount for the contract period. 

Bigger bundle.              £95.33
 Television:
+ Maxit TV
+ 1 Additional TV Box
+ Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
+ TiVo Monthly Fee
+ Kids Pick
 Broadband:
+ M200 Fibre Broadband
+ Discount  Telephone:
+ Talk Weekends
+ Free Voicemail
+ Telephone Line Rental
Promotions & discounts
Cr£28.83
 
Bigger Bundle Offer - 12 Month Saving Ends On 13-JUN-20.
5.00 Discount Virgin TV Kids For 12m Which Will End on 13-JUN-20.
Your package £66.50

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So, with the price rise last autumn of around £4.50 for that package, they are offering you a discount of around 36% off the standard price and you are not happy with that! 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
steyeehee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You are clearly bias to VM.  The standard price is what new customers are paying.

I would be happy if there was fair pricing.

Why should I be happy when new customers are valued more with lower tariffs than I am when I have been with Virgin for over circa 20 years?

Why should current customers pay to discount new customers?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you are not a new customer. Simple

The standard prince is the price AFTER the new customer discount.

You would of had a new customer discount.

I see form your bill you have 2 discounts Why should WE customers pay to discount YOU

steyeehee
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I know I am not a new customer, that is fundamentally my point. (Simples)  I have been a loyal customer for circa 20 years, yet VM give their loyalty not to me but to new customers.

The standard price must be the transparent price that anyone can view on the public VM website.

I am not asking anyone to subsidises my bill at all.  The discounts that was applied last year was to get me closer to the new customer pricing model.  I would be very happy to pay a consistent price that everyone else pays.  

I actually have no issue with the cost of the service that was offered.  I have cancelled as I think it’s ethically wrong to make some people pay more than others for the same service.

I expect that in the future this type of pricing strategy will be considered old fashioned as customers realise their value and push back.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the current model, where new customers get bigger discounts, is being pushed forward by the competition authorities, encouraged by the Government.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Unfortunately the current model, where new customers get bigger discounts, is being pushed forward by the competition authorities, encouraged by the Government.

It's not really as Ofcom are encouraging providers to treat existing customers fairly, following increasing complaints about the practice of new customer discounts.  BT and Sky have agreed to offer existing customers new customer prices subject to agreeing to an 18 month contract renewal. Sadly Virgin Media has chose not to take part.

0 Kudos