Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 41 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the point of Virgin Service Status?

@timfg wrote:

Just because you have absolutely no clue about how to manage infrastructure services, there's no need to keep driving it back to your comfort zone of widgets and string.  This has nothing to do with monitoring and diagnosis, a point I've been making since the start of the thread and which you wilfully ignore, because you're a spod who would rather try and lord it over others with your knowledge of widgets and string. They're irrelevant to everything I have been saying: I have never asked for technical assistance with the problem and I could give a crap about the widgets and string.

Here - this is what I am talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_management_database

It is in Virgin's interests to do this as well as it can because it maintains their competitive position and minimise their support costs.  The cost of the residential service has nothing to do with it. It is cheaper to adopt well-established procedures in order to identify component failure as early as possible, rather than waste manhours dealing with individual support requests and diagnosis in glorious isolation.  If a car drives through a cabinet, it is far better that V identify the issue immediately, rather than deal with a flood of calls that eventually leads to understanding. If the best they can do is to relate support calls, that's far better than waiting until someone tells them about the accident.

I only used these acronyms because I assumed you had some vague knowledge of this stuff.  I'm not that surprised to find you haven't - you just know about widgets and string.

LOL your ego dented much?

I would have thought that by referring to your (what you see as) technical jargon, you could have extrapolated that I knew exactly what you were referring to. Again with the director - "I try to obfuscate my complete lack of knowledge about the subject I'm expostulating about with jargon". That kind of went out with the inception of google- you dig? Ill not go into my background, but I do have "some" experience of delivering bullet proof web services to sites with millions of users.

The widgets and string that I have (I would say some, not lots of) knowledge about is what your spending your hard earned on every month in life. We've advised you to move from widgets and string to your paradise of managed infrastructure but still you persist in making a fool of yourself.

Do you not get thats NOT the service you are buying? Its really not a difficult concept.

Lets make some fun...

@timfg wrote:

What are you, 12?  What an offensive child you are.

A Virgin chap came out last week and diagnosed it.  As to how Service Status could know - it needs do no more than relate multiple reports of an outage to the same infrastructure component to recognise an issue and report awareness of it, whether they have diagnosed it or not.  It would save users a lot of time and hassle and stop all the L1 diagnostic stuff when they phone the helpdesk.  It's fundamentally the ITIL principles for incident response enabled by a CMDB.

Yes - principle.  Not principal. 

You DO get that you have called me childlike as an insult when I have a child's cartoon as my signature, and the same for my profile. You dont get thats a bit redundant? Id rather take your insult compliment than live in a world of acronyms and BS, with no actual power.

If you SERIOUSLY think that VM's path to eternal profitability involves spending millions of quid upgrading infrastructure to provide real time monitoring, when no other major residential ISP does that...you are without doubt a Director. Just to make it clear,  thats NOT a compliment Smiley Wink

Have you now finally accepted that its not a veritable army of VM engineers on a rota to work on your DSLAM at the same time of day, every day? Like we told you? Cos thats TOTALLY a thing......

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did.  Because all you're doing is living a snarky existence trying to impose yourself on others in these forums, in which you've posted about 50 times a week since joining by the look of it. As my neighbour down the road said "blimey. the guy responding to you is a sad numbnuts" and "i can just picture that nerdy **bleep** with plastered up nhs glasses on, tanktop a la granville from open all hours and a book on java on his desk."

Do you not get that this has never been about the technical jargon, nor the widgets nor the string?  All I posted was frustration at V's failure to put in place better (and more cost-effective) processes to manage their infrastructure.  That's it. Nothing else. All you've done is attempt to snide misguidedly about my technical capability, of which I've never claimed any in this arena - I know little more about it than what I garnered from studying Computing at Uni 35 years ago and what I've picked up over the years as a result of managing pretty much every area of enterprise IT at some point in my career, including infrastructure and networks. I did start out in very technical roles - but in software engineering around 3D design. 

Get out more, it will do you good.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

Yes, I did.  Because all you're doing is living a snarky existence trying to impose yourself on others in these forums, in which you've posted about 50 times a week since joining by the look of it. As my neighbour down the road said "blimey. the guy responding to you is a sad numbnuts" and "i can just picture that nerdy **bleep** with plastered up nhs glasses on, tanktop a la granville from open all hours and a book on java on his desk."

Do you not get that this has never been about the technical jargon, nor the widgets nor the string?  All I posted was frustration at V's failure to put in place better (and more cost-effective) processes to manage their infrastructure.  That's it. Nothing else. All you've done is attempt to snide misguidedly about my technical capability, of which I've never claimed any in this arena - I know little more about it than what I garnered from studying Computing at Uni 35 years ago and what I've picked up over the years as a result of managing pretty much every area of enterprise IT at some point in my career, including infrastructure and networks. I did start out in very technical roles - but in software engineering around 3D design. 

Get out more, it will do you good.

Did you really just post that?

First I'm a child, then a spod, then a nerd. Ill take any of those, you aren't great at this insult thing are you?

Firstly, I would say on my posting figures - do the math, but as you are a Director ill say "pass that across to someone who is numerate" 50 posts week? No idea Ive never worked it out.  But taking 50 as ballpark, 2 minutes a post, 100 minutes a week on here , 1440 minutes in a week, leaves plenty of time to get out.

Do you know what I do when I go out? Thats right, NOT show my "mates" my posts on here because you know, I'm not pathetic enough to need external validation. Smiley Wink .

And as for trying to impose myself on others in here, maybe you should read some of my 50 a week posts on here (yes I understand that may take up most of your week, but I think fast) Id go 90% helpful , 10% dealing with Directors. You see I dont like misinformation. These forums are public, and many search for specific issues which seem the same as theirs. Your contention of a legion of pixies infesting your DSLAM is simply wrong. And daft.  And by posting it you were inferring technical knowledge, so dont try to row back now.

Maybe you should look at the 90/10 ratio and ask yourself why you are in the 10%

Id surmise you get that a lot in your life. Its like a gift of deodorant at Christmas. Ones a nice thought. 2 is plenty, 3 is a pattern, more than that, maybe the issue is YOU.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 51
Flag for a moderator

" If you SERIOUSLY think that VM's path to eternal profitability involves spending millions of quid upgrading infrastructure to provide real time monitoring, when no other major residential ISP does that...you are without doubt a Director. Just to make it clear,  thats NOT a compliment Smiley Wink

Have you now finally accepted that its not a veritable army of VM engineers on a rota to work on your DSLAM at the same time of day, every day? Like we told you? Cos thats TOTALLY a thing...... "

And seriously, why don't you read what people write rather than attempt to belittle them? Absolutely none of what I've written here has been about uptime, active monitoring or investment in provision of better delivery - I don't care that it breaks occasionally, it's entirely to be expected in a residential service. I care only that they could do a much better job around the management of outages which would save them money, in the long run. The fact that they don't is frustrating, because it would also improve my experience too.

"you are without doubt a Director. Just to make it clear,  thats NOT a compliment Smiley Wink"

Yet you're the one banging on about dented egos! I've had lots of people work for me over the years like you - think that technical superiority is everything, dismissive of senior management, almost autistic in their perspective on what matters in commercial environment, inflated regard for their own intellect, complete inability to work with others. They invariably stay stuck where they started, snarking at everyone else about how much more they know about how to succeed than anyone else does.

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 51
Flag for a moderator

"Your contention of a legion of pixies infesting your DSLAM is simply wrong. And daft.  And by posting it you were inferring technical knowledge, so dont try to row back now."

Except I never made that contention.  I referenced a DSLAM as an upstream component without really thinking about it, because the relevance was only in 'widgets in infrastructure that someone is working on'.  When someone pointed out that DSLAMS are DSL stuff, I said 'Whatever on the technology front - it's not my area of expertise" You're trying to position it in a way that makes you look clever by suggesting that I claimed I knew what my problem was caused by, when this thread has never been about that at all, and the fact that I made a mistaken reference to a bit of kit that wasn't relevant is entirely missing the point.  But you prefer to miss the point, because then you can jump up and down and claim that you know better than me, whilst totally failing to engage with what the thread is about. Even now, you're still failing to recognise that I am not seeking help with a problem - I didn't have a problem when I started the thread and don't have one now - and banging on about me seeking business-class levels of resilience when I only pay for a residential service. Because you can't do your 'I know better than you' thing unless you keep trying to invent stuff I haven't said to feel superior about.

"as you are a Director"

You have a very obvious problem with this. I'd suggest this is why you can't leave it alone. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 46 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Yet you're the one banging on about dented egos! I've had lots of people work for me over the years like you - think that technical superiority is everything, dismissive of senior management, almost autistic in their perspective on what matters in commercial environment, inflated regard for their own intellect, complete inability to work with others. They invariably stay stuck where they started, snarking at everyone else about how much more they know about how to succeed than anyone else does.

But I HAVE no technical superiority, my expertise is widgets and string.Smiley Indifferent

Stuck where they started? You really think people like me would work for people like you? Not a chance. Your disdain for people who challenge you is evident and endemic. Id last about 5 minutes working for you and it would end with blue lights Smiley Wink

Sorry I dont fit your world view.

As for referring to "director" many times- try reading the thread. You know the one you are participating in?  Its used as a pejorative in place of calling you something the filters will take out. But I dont expect you to get the complexities of that. There you MADE me explain it to you.

Pass it across to the "department of not understanding what is clearly written in front of you"  they'll put together a power-point presentation  about it Smiley Happy

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 47 of 51
Flag for a moderator

No. I don't think people like you would work for me. Because I don't think they'd get past the first interview.

Go and wave your inferiority complex at someone else..

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 48 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

No. I don't think people like you would work for me. Because I don't think they'd get past the first interview.

Go and wave your inferiority complex at someone else..

First I'm parading my superior technical knowledge, now I have an inferiority complex...Smiley Frustrated

Not only can you not bring forward any coherent evidence for your assertions, they are contradictory.

That comes as no surprise,as at no point have you actually taken on board what is said to you.  You have no concept of a world outside your (very) limited experience. Which is why you came on applying preconceptions to your issue.Preconceptions that had no basis in reality and made no sense even in your alleged area of expertise. Why would an ISP continually send people to work on the same node at the same time every day/week? Because it needed wound up maybe? Allocated pixie cull time? Because it wanted to go bankrupt?

Why doesn't the service do what you THINK it should. Because no residential ISP contract provides the service you would like at the price you are paying. Your expectations are like your technical knowledge- not based in reality.

As for wouldn't get past the first interview? Again with your limited world view. I dont DO interviews, never have.  People and companies come looking for people like us, we dont interview for "positions"

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 51
Flag for a moderator

You haven't read - or understood - anything that I've said right from the start.  And then you make assertions of things that I definitely haven't said to support your position. Tedious

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 50 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

You haven't read - or understood - anything that I've said right from the start.  And then you make assertions of things that I definitely haven't said to support your position. Tedious

Okay lets go with things you definitely HAVE said

If there is potential for drops caused by maintenance work, you need to tell your customers

Your drops are NOT caused by maintenance work

If there are unexplained drops, you need to tell your customers you're aware and keep them informed.

Ill it of the assume you mean drops not attributable to maintenance. As there is little to no active monitoring on VM's or any other residential ISP's customer facing equipment, they aren't aware. VM keep customers informed of area issues they can see or are reported. Anything else would require infrastructure upgrades.

I have had enough of days totally disrupted by service failures, with absolutely no-one able to tell me what is going on and when I can expect to be able to rely on consistent service delivery again

You cannot rely on consistent service delivery from a residential contract.. Its not part of the deal. We've told you how to fix that.

Leaving your customers totally in the dark is beyond unacceptable.

As discussed at length above, thats what residential ISP's do in lieu of active monitoring or any coherent system to report service outages.

These things cost money which is why such reporting is confined to business grade contracts. A LOT of business grade contracts rely on the end user reporting down time or service outside the SLA's (conveniently). An actual decent contract with monitoring,SLA's and uptime guarantees will run into silly money. So normal folk do a fail over or live with downtime.

There you go, a nice, succinct, factual answer to your original post. No question about what was said, no bias in my answers. It is what it is.

timmy.jpg

Use Kudos to say thanks