Menu
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 11 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the point of Virgin Service Status?

If you want 24/7 monitoring and managing then you can go for VM's Dedicated Internet Access. It will cost you but you get what you pay for.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I think your weddedness to the business class / domestic differential is out of date - even if it ever carried any commercial logic, beyond what was the plundering of commercial advantage in differentiation. If your water supply was intermittent, you complained and were told that you needed to buy a business-class water-supply service... you'd be screaming about it I'm sure.  But this is internet provision now - it's not something that suppliers can get away with differentially dividing their market over any more. The domestic market - by FAR - is the source of their income from provision. We are moving past the point where they can get away with it. This is not the 90s: if V don't want to improve the resilience of their offering, they will lose customers - because the competition will, in recognition that that this is the basis of competition in broadband provision now, for much of the market.

I'm doing no more than adding a voice to help push them there - because I don't really want the hassle of moving. None of them are really showing any signs of moving to acknowledge what this market is inexorably becoming, but it's not because they don't know it. They're all edging their way to the next move, but hanging on to the old regime because there are still £££ to be made there.  In the near term it will become unsustainable - someone will move.

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 51
Flag for a moderator

You're missing the point.

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 51
Flag for a moderator

"If you want 24/7 monitoring and managing then you can go for VM's Dedicated Internet Access. It will cost you but you get what you pay for."

I want resilient service provision, without being subject to the artificial differentiation of pricing that's prevailed to date - just like I enjoy with the water / gas and electricity supply to my house. It will come - I'm doing no more than adding a voice to help it come quicker.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Both water and electricity suppliers charge different (higher) rates to business to cover the increased cost of preferential access to uptime and  SLA's. Last time there was a hosepipe ban did your nearest swimming pool close?

Try to give  examples that prove your point, not the opposite.

Must try harder....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

timfg
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Trolling.  My water supply, my electricity supply, my gas supply virtually never fail.  When there are restrictions in play, I am told in advance. This is the way - inevitably - that internet service provision will play out. I'm not really sure why you would even bother to try and argue about it, but suspect you are 12-years old / have just come in from the pub. I have no desire for dialogue over it, it's established fact.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

Trolling.  My water supply, my electricity supply, my gas supply virtually never fail.  When there are restrictions in play, I am told in advance. This is the way - inevitably - that internet service provision will play out. I'm not really sure why you would even bother to try and argue about it, but suspect you are 12-years old / have just come in from the pub. I have no desire for dialogue over it, it's established fact.

I'm not the one arguing about it. I was the one offered you help to diagnose the issue. Since then all I have done is point out your logical flaws.

Ive been with NTL/VM for over 15 years. I wound up helping others on here after I had a 2 week period where my broadband kept failing. In the end the issue turned out to be out of wack power levels. Since then it has been rock solid. Ive had two power cuts this year so far, no broadband outages. YMMV.

If you want some help to get a resolution, answer my questions. If not, enjoy your blood pressure being sky high while you stress yourself out waiting for broadband Shangri-La

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

timfg
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 51
Flag for a moderator

I'm not looking for diagnostic help. My mileage does vary. So does my my neighbour's. You have pointed out zero 'logical flaws'. But whatever hun, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 19 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet?

Skype for Business is terrible, for me it drops out far more often when I’m in work, then when I am at home and using it without a VPN. So if that’s your yard stick then Skype being down isn’t a good measure (the company I work for have a dedicated private link to Microsoft UK servers and its still poor).

I find the kind of drops outs I think you are talking about everyday at various times. This has happened on both Virgin, BT ADSL & FTTC as well as O2 and Three 3G and 4G. They last maybe 30 seconds and cause pages to time out, and non buffered tasks to stop. 

I think these short blips are related to many things, router getting confused/busy/hot, WiFi channels congested, interference, router deciding to change channels, parts of the network getting congested and or other equipment maybe restarting causing rerouting within network. Could be hosting server having problems, VPNs failing maybe even states messing with traffic. There’s so much complexity in the networks.

The UK has gone for a competitive, cost focussed market. With this comes a lack of investment and crucially a smashed together mix of mediocre equipment that is classed as “good enough”. With this we aren’t going to see anyone invest in decent resilience, and technology until it’s worth their while (I.e. people pay more. Time and time again it’s been proven people will not pay, and are happy to go to the cheapest supplier even if they leak all your details and do not care about customer experience. 

If you want 24/7 service you will have to pay for it. You’ll not get this on Virgin Media residential network, you will have to pay £150 min per month for Virgin leased line or you could try A&A Business line if you want to remain relatively cheap. Either way if you want a better service you will need to pay more - do you want to? If not, welcome to the world of accepting short drop outs as it won’t change in the short to medium.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 20 of 51
Flag for a moderator

So Skype for Business is OK, but Broadband for Business is not. Some lack of consistency there.

This is one of those infrequent but rather amusing threads where a single poster maintains that they are right and all the rest of the world is wrong. And with a few swear words to dress up an unconvincing argument.