Menu
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What is the magic to get a better deal?

I'm paying £70 a month for broadband and phone. My next door neighbour is paying less for phone, broadband and TV.

I've been with virgin for 10 years. I've rung up a few times but been told best deal with TV is £100.

How do I get a better deal?

Is there some magic incantation I have to utter?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the magic to get a better deal?

The best deals are usually available from an outbound retentions call after you've served notice of cancellation.  But that's a dangerous strategy because if that call doesn't come or you can't take it, then you get disconnected.  I supposed you could try that, and if it doesn't pay off phone up on the final day and say you've changed your mind.

The whole thing about pricing is totally opaque, and intentionally so.  The biggest discounts are offered to secure new customers, and the amount VM offer to existing customers asking for a discount varies from nothing to about half-way way towards the new customer price, depending on a range of factors, like VM's need to maintain customer numbers, what market segment VM slot you into, and how likely they think you are to leave (both at a segment level, but also the agent on the day's belief).  A few lucky customers get renewals at the new customer rate, but that seems to be fairly unusual.  I'd expect that the retentions team are paid incentives for retaining customers, probably with an overlay for doing so at the lowest amount possible.

If price is really important, your best option would be to rotate between (say) VM, Sky, BT, leaving whenever the new customer discount ends.  Sky and BT have promised the regulator that they'll offer existing customers the same deal as new ones (which doesn't mean you won't have to haggle for it), VM have made no such promise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Buffer6
Hero
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's profiteering, there aren't enough players in the game to offer real competition at the moment, although it will come eventually.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi mrg999,

My advice is to look at what you use Virgin for, especially on the TV side. Can you do without without all the channels you have? Look at your broadband speed. Do you really need it that fast?  Dropping down to a lower package can save you money. 

If you want to stay on the same package it's also possible to do that and save money. In fact sometimes you can go to a higher tier of package and still save money. Packages change all the time.

Maybe do a bit of homework too. Look at competitors offers and prices, then armed with that you can also inform VM what you are looking for and expect.

The Retentions team (Thinking of leaving us) can offer you a better deal than just going through with a regrade. They are there to solve issues and also prevent customers leaving, so they are on your side. It's not a hard sell, and if even you think the offer is a good one, politely ask if they can tweak it a little bit, maybe another fiver a month off? 

Offers can change on a daily basis, so if you don't get what you want you can also call back again, however you may not get as good an offer as the one you turned down, or it may no longer be available.

You could try the text messaging service.

Just send  a text with a description of cancellation  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

You can also call  150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am to avoid call queuesand choose the Thinking of leaving us option.

Best of luck in finding a package that suits your needs and expected price point.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's profiteering, 

Of course it's profiteering.  VM aren't a charity, and their directors have a duty in law to run the company for the highest achievable profits.  You can play the haggling game if you want, if you don't like the best offer (or don't want to haggle nor pay the standard rate) then you're free to leave.  

I don't like VM's standard pricing, and hitherto I've been able to secure a modest discount of about 10% which is not very good, but at least doesn't push over the edge and cause me to take an Openreach connection.

there aren't enough players in the game to offer real competition at the moment, although it will come eventually.

And what will that do?  For most ISPs they take Openreach's price structure, and with billions going into new FTTP, that's not going to be cheap.  Looking at BT's FTTP consumer pricing, that's in the same ballpark as VM's charges.  The only thing competition will give customers is the choice of speed and service, but it won't do anything for pricing, nor will it alter the industry dynamics of new customers being offered the best deals.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Whenever I'm coming to the end of my contract I call and say that my bills will be high with the rising prices and what can you do. It helps if you've done some research on what VM's offering to new customers and you can quote some prices. Invariably I get a better deal. I'm always polite and pay on time by direct debit.

HTH

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Buffer6 wrote:

It's profiteering, there aren't enough players in the game to offer real competition at the moment, although it will come eventually.

As far as linear TV channels are concerned the situation will not get any better. Any competitors that have set up on satellite (remember British Satellite Broadcasting with their trendy “Squarials“ instead of a dish) were allowed to be absorbed by Sky (BSB lasted all of 6 months due to production problems with equipment). Another company failed before even starting up, & Sky even tried to block Freesat from being launched.

Then there was ON DIGITAL (that became ITV digital). This also flopped due to technical issues, & although it was never proven, the plethora of pirated viewing cards that were in circulation at the time of its demise could have been the result of Sky muscling in on the company that owned the encryption system. With more & more spectrum now given up to mobile use this route is also dead.

The vast majority of smaller channels (like H&C that have just left Virgin) are looking at streaming arrangements without ties to a platform. As channels diminish it becomes less viable for the TV platforms themselves. Sky has now abandoned current plans for an IP replacement of their satellite TV service, so satellite & cable will be around for a while yet, but the market won’t get any more players.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Profiteering is not illegal in the UK, but other countries do have anti-profiteering legislation

You must hope that you are never accused of profiteering or you may get a very bad reputation with your customers.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can you say that it's profiteering when VM's last three sets of accounts for the year ending 2019, 2018 and 2017 show comprehensive losses of £348.4m, £14.3m and £106.9m. The big pay TV and broadband operators - Sky, BT, TalkTalk and VM - operate in a competitive environment with regulation by Ofcom and Competition and Markets Authority. And perhaps VM should be glad that, unlike Openreach, it is not required to provide wholesale access to its network.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can you say that it's profiteering when VM's last three sets of accounts for the year ending 2019, 2018 and 2017 show comprehensive losses of £348.4m, £14.3m and £106.9m.

Hahhaahhahahaahaha!  Somebody believes company accounts!  Hahahahahahaha!  You must work for the Inland Revenue or British government! Hahahhahahahahaaa.....Help me someone, I'm going to choke.

Liberty Global is a financial investor, and it makes it money from the balance sheet, not the P&L.  So although you are right to say that on paper VM made no money, Liberty plan long term and for tax avoidance, and their eye is on the "exit strategy".  And should you doubt that, look at Liberty's full year 2019 results, where they made a $1.4bn loss (edit for clarity) from continuing operations...and then declared a net profit of $11.5 billion, by virtue of a "gain on disposal" of the European operations flogged to the mugs at Vodafone.  See section 2 page 48 of Liberty's 2019 10K.

When Liberty sell out their VM interest, that'll miraculously turn into a vast gain on disposal.