Menu
JM0
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VirginMedia Nightmare - Legal Address

Hi

I've has a terrible experience with Virgin over the last month or so, it started when I couldn't get the price offered to new customers and decided to leave. Then I get a call from a sales agent and we agreed a price still not as good as offered to new customers but good enough with the package remaining the same and a new 12 month contract. There were no contracts posted or emailed to me detailing the contract.

Then the bill arrives nearly double what it should be and I discover my phone has been disconnected, at this point the new contract has been in place for three days. I'm told someone will call me back and it could take 28 days so I ask for the grace period to be extended so I can cancel without penalty if they can't resolve it and for this to be sent to me in writing I don't receive anything.

28 days come and go so I contact them again and from this point forward everyone I spoke to has been rude and obstructive. We make no ground on them correcting the issues so I cancel again I'm told I'll receive an email regarding the cancellation date and confirmation again I receive nothing.

I arrange my a deal with a new provider then two days later get a call saying they can't port the phone number, when I call Virgin the first agent I spoke wanted a £35 pound activation fee to put back a line that shouldn't have been removed because a number can only be ported if its live? and when I said I wanted to make a complaint hung up. The second one I spoke to agreed there would be no cost to reconnect the line for porting but followed up with there being a 90% chance I won't get the number and an engineer will need to come out to reactivate the line (which I don't understand they cut the line off remotely why can't they reinstate it). I'm told the number is gone because its been over 30 days since they cancelled the line so they just can't put it back on. It was 3 days when I raised the issue with them and had gone over because they failed to live up to their promise of a call back.   

I then ask for contact details of their legal department as I will have a loss of business and costs incurred if I need to change the number. She then proceeds to tell me there won't be any cost because they're waving the £35, I ask who is going to pay to replace business cards, signage etc and again ask for contact details for a legal department. She then says Virgin media doesn't have a legal department and hangs ups.

So does anyone have the contact details I can use in the event I need to make a claim via the small claims court as its looking increasingly likely I will need to. And if you have taken them to court is there any advise you have.

Also I'm currently in a mobile contract with Virgin I'd like out of because I resent paying the company anything due to the financial strain I'm surely going to end up in because of their incompetence( the van signage is probably going to be in excess of £500 alone), so any advise on cancelling this early would be appreciated. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: VirginMedia Nightmare - Legal Address

Hello

Very sorry for your experience, a couple of notes under the T&C it is quite clear that these are consumer lines and that VM do not cover any costs that you might occur due to problems, have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#phone.

The address you can write too is -

Virginmedia, Unit 4, Pennywell Industrial Estate, Pennywell, Sunderland, SR4 9EN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HI JM0,

Sorry to hear that we were not able to find you an offer that you would be happy with and that it lead to you wanting to leave us. You mentioned that you wanted your Virgin Media account to be re-activated after it has been disconnected by your earlier instruction and I'm afraid there may be an activation fee as per our terms and conditions.

Did you contact your new provider first before contacting us to disconnect your account? If so, they should have advised that you that the line must be active to port and they will then send a port request to us. Once ported, they should have advised you to contact us to disconnect your account. Given what you wrote, it doesn't appear that this has happened and that you contacted us to disconnect first.

I can only apologise that this is the case and once active, you will be able to port the number out. 

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
JM0
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa

My phoneline should not have been disconnect to begin with I called within a couple of days to have this corrected and it wasn't, I still have had not had the call back I was promised when I called. Why should I pay to have the line reactivated when it shouldn't have been disconnected? why was I told to wait up to 28 days to be contacted, then after chasing it up because I wasn't contacted be told the numbers gone because its been over 30 days. Its not acceptable you can't have a call back timeframe of up to 28 days and not be able to recover the number if its more than 30 days.

Everything should have been frozen when I first raised my complaint until there was a resolution or as I was unhappy with the changes everything put back the way it was immediately as is my right as a consumer I was 2 days into the new contract and I have the right to cancel it. Instead I was strung along with promises of action being taken. When I got fed up of waiting I had to have arguments with Virgin representatives trying to charge me an early leaving penalty because the 14 day had passed despite me doing nothing but following their advice by waiting and trusting them than I would be contacted.

This is by far the worst customer service experience I've ever had and I can't wait to be done with Virgin. Its been lie after lie after lie, fortunately I record most of my phone calls so it shouldn't be too difficult produce evidence when I make my claim and I would advise everyone who deals with Virgin to do the same.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Remember, you have to give notice that you are recording the call (as big corporations tell you they do for "training purposes") for it to be admissable in evidence.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Bengie
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not quite right. You do not have to inform you are recording if it is for your own use.
You can make a transcript of the call and offer that as evidence or you can inform the bench
that you have a recording and it is then up to the bench if they want to hear that recording.

As private individuals it is always advisable to record these type of calls.

JM0
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is my understanding of it too, it is not illegal to record any conversation in this country as for them telling you they record for "training purposes" this is done at a point before the calls start and there is open dialogue between the agent and customer where acknowledgment can be made of the statement. You can make your statement of recording then or immediately when the call starts regardless if anybody is on the other end to acknowledge it. 

If the company is happy to make their statement at a point it can't be acknowledged they can't reasonably object to the customer doing the same. For the most part its irrelevant anyway as the condition of the call being recorded applies to both parties regardless who made that statement and who is recording. Simply put the company cannot object to the customer recording if they are doing the same.

Further more the customer is entitled to to the company's recordings of the conversations when requested as well as any notes or internal messages relating to them. Recording from your end just gives you far more control of the situation when dealing with dishonest companies who will claim they can't find the recording that supports your version of event over theirs.   

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you have also admitted you broke the T&C by using the services for business use. So from a legal point of view VM have every right to cancel the service with no notice due to a breach of the T&C.

You may of just made the chances of taking legal action much harder
0 Kudos
JM0
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is no legal obligation to have a business line if your self employed, I can use my landline for any purpose and there is nothing in the T&C for prohibiting me from doing so. The only reference made is for reasonable use, do you think everyone forced to work from home over the last three months should be cut off? or maybe anyone who's had to call their employer from their home phone? perhaps anybody who has listed their phone number on a CV should be executed? of course not because it would be unreasonable to expect them not to use their phone / broadband for those purposes.

Reasonable is the world used and that is what a judgement will be based on, reasonable is open to interpretation and they cannot cut me off without notice with out proof I have breached the contract by being unreasonable. So far I have been more than reasonable, I called to inform then the changes were incorrect, I waited the amount of time they asked, I called multiple times to correct it before giving up on the company.

A contract is an agreement between two parties and they also have an obligation to be 'reasonable', I expect to have the changes implemented I agreed and if incorrect to be rectified ASAP. Not to be told the agent has entered something differently so I must be wrong and clearly I don't know what I want (the customer is always right is obviously not taught to Virgin staff). Its not reasonable to ask a customer disputing something to wait a period of time that will almost guarantee it can't be rectified and still not uphold the promise to callback. It is reasonable however to expect the number to be held until the complaint is resolved.

T&C do not give a company the right to do whatever it whats there are still laws it must abide by, I called up 2 days into my new contract asking for it to be put back the way it was as is my right and Virgin have a legal obligation to do so under the statutory minimum cooling-off period. This was ignored and everything that came after was a result of negligence on the part of Virgin. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

its unreasonable to say you are using a service for personal use when the phone number is on a business card.

The customer is not always right. That is what customer that wants things their own way says.

2. Except as set out in paragraph R.1, neither we nor Virgin Media Payments will be liable to you for:

1. any loss or damage which is not a reasonably foreseeable consequence of Virgin Media or Virgin Media Payments' negligence or breach of this agreement.  Loss or damage is reasonably foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the agreement was made, both we and you knew it might happen (for example, if you and we discussed it); or

2. any business loss (including loss of profits, business, revenue, contracts or anticipated savings, wasted expenses or any other purely financial losses) even if such loss was reasonably foreseeable.

5. Your phone number and phone line are for private use by you and members of your household only. They must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using the services for domestic purposes, for example whilst a reasonable amount of working from home is expected, your usage should be within what would be reasonably expected from a residential customer and we have no liability for any business losses you may suffer.  

0 Kudos