Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin view on customer loyalty.....?

We have been Virgin customers from that days of NTL....and have always questioned the 10% plus rises and got a short term reduction... 

Today I received a letter saying over the next 6 months (assuming no cost rises inbetween) my package will go from £39 to £57/month.

It then goes on to say that I could choose to change to a 'brilliant new bundle' which would cost £59/month for the same thing!

To show how pleased they are to have me as a customer the letter goes on to say:

'We've also included the option below, which is only available to new customer'

This shows my current package as £42/month!!!!!!!

This has made the letter slightly confusing so I called 'customer service'.....and they confirmed that I am not eligible for the 'new customer' deal!!! I was offered £44, but the guy was so patronizing (humming while waiting, etc) that I didn't confirm more details

So, why are Rachel Barrass (Customer Service Director) writing to me and, basically rubbing my face in being a loyal/stupid longstanding customer????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin view on customer loyalty.....?

The letter is part of the OFCOM regulations about advising you about what happens to your contract either at the end of the current term, or as part of an annual notification:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2020/companies-must-tell-customers-...

So the letters will explain about any timed discounts that are due to end e.g. £x for six months, along with a suggested alternative bundle, and then an equivalent new customer offer.

This is so you can decide on the best course of action for your bundle and pricing.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you are not a "new customer" so why are you confused about it?

why do you think there should be any loyalty on either side?
they are a business and supply a service to you at a price. you either pay the pricea and received the service or you don't and take your business elsewhere.

would you go into tesco and complain about a price of any particular item if you felt you weren't getting a good deal and demand the price be dropped? or would you simply go and buy it elsewhere for the price you are happy with?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's understandable you want a better deal. Who doesn't? But it's an exchange of service versus money.
As @spgray said if this would be your credit card's interest rate, your gas supplier or Tesco, you would just operate as per supply & demand: you would change suppliers.

It's not ideal, but this is how marketing (: offers for new customers) and competition works. When there is a better price/quality or both somewhere else, you would go for what is important to you.

But I do feel you. I understand this is unpleasant and no words from me or the community can amend your Direct Debit. But your actions would: be an economical agent and chose wisely, you're free to operate within the competition rules.

A Google search returned 200 internet provider within the UK - depending on where you live. Have a look and shop around, if that's what you want to do. Also, your package seems to increase with 30%, which I too would find a bit much, adding the CPI (1.5% this year, I think). And think in cumulative terms. The difference in price would be £210+ in a year.

If you're willing to pay that, think and make sure it's clear in your mind why you're paying it. 😉

Take care and chose wisely.
Alexander.
Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ant-g,

I would say that the 30per cent increase to full time price shows what a great deal you had which is now expiring.

As with all firms including Sky, the deals for new customers are always better, however they along with BT and Virgin have retentions departments for customers to call and negotiate a new deal.

I wish that pricing could be standardised, so that everyone, both new and old payed the same price, however that's never likely to happen as firms compete with each other to gain new customers.

You've nothing to lose, apart from time spent on the phone to see if  Virgin  can make you an offer that satisfies your needs and pocket.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So to be clear... your package to a new customer is £42 and they offered you the same for £44 and you refused it - why ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

To get this clear...

i found the letter strange that it stated that my bill would be over £57 but if I was a new customer it would be £42.

i hadn’t realised that this is an Ofcom directive.

yes, it peeved me and wasn’t helped by the patronising guy in customer service who did not know that this was the reason. And the fact that they have the ability to knock 1/3 off your bill I do not agree with.

yes I do realise it is a business to make money, but over the years it has changed. This is my opinion and all are entitled to their own.

tbh, the virgin service in our area is not consistent- so much so that at one point we were logged onto our neighbours broadband.

we have now made other arrangements so now happy. 

If you are happy with what you have then good, if not then change.... but as I stated and hit the ‘solved’ button - I had not realised about the ofcom directive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

Hi Ant-g,

I would say that the 30per cent increase to full time price shows what a great deal you had which is now expiring.

As with all firms including Sky, the deals for new customers are always better, however they along with BT and Virgin have retentions departments for customers to call and negotiate a new deal.

I wish that pricing could be standardised, so that everyone, both new and old payed the same price, however that's never likely to happen as firms compete with each other to gain new customers.

Sky, BT and TalkTalk will now meet the new customer price for existing customers, if they recontract for 18 months. They agreed to do this with Ofcom but sadly Virgin refused.

"BTSky and TalkTalk will allow their out-of-contract customers to get the same deals as new customers, when they take out a new contract"

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/fairer-prices-for-broadband-cu...

When Sky/BT/TalkTalk send an end of contract letter they can say "the new customer price for your package is £40 and is available to you if you recontract" but VM have to list the new customer price while telling the existing customer how much more they'll be paying.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

if you re-contract at a longer time that was is normal though, so they know they are guaranteed it for 18 months.

they aren't doing it to be generous, they are doing it because they know it'll make them money due to the longer minimum term.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sky and BT are normally 18 month contacts anyway, so the customer just needs to renew for another 18 month to stay on the new customer price. Not sure why Virgin won't do the same as it would reduce a lot of the complaints we see on this forum about new customers getting better prices. 

0 Kudos