Menu
david365
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin insist on me paying for TV which I haven't used for 10 years and don't give the speed quoted

I do think that virgin customer services are verging on dishonest. For years I have been trying to get TV services removed and they basically refused, or said it would be more expensive (I pay £73 a month).

I finally got TV removed, but only when I gave notice to quit so still pretty **bleep** off. My bill went down to £55 which is good but that does mean I have paid £20 a month for the last 10 years for a service that I did not want and did not use.. That works out £2400 of money down the drain - great for them but rubbish for me. 

Really bad. My internet never reaches the 100mb speed either. After constant complaints it increased. I do wonder if you don't complain do they throttle you back so that they can provide the bandwidth to new customers or those who complain more regularly!

Certainly no such thing as a "valued" customer with VM, just a cash cow.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin insist on me paying for TV which I haven't used for 10 years and don't give the speed quoted

You certainly have been a cash cow, most people would have threatened to cancel 9 years ago

david365
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin insist on me paying for TV which I haven't used for 10 years and don't give the speed quoted

Yes, so maybe I have been a mug, but that does not excuse virgin for what I consider dishonest practice - refusing multiple times to remove a service which was not being used and could easily be removed.  

It also leaves the general failure to live up to their speed promises. I know this is widespread throughout the industry but Virgin claim they are different in that respect. Not so in my experience.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

With VM it should be possible to reach (or even exceed) the speed of your chosen package providing your devices can support it. There are some areas with high utilisation which causes slow peak time speeds, but these are far less common now and if that was the case you would be eligible for a monthly discount until it was resolved. 

What speeds do you get, and are you using wired or WiFi? 

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Where to start....

I don't think your calculation is accurate - you may have saved £20 per month off your recent bills, but that wouldn't have been the same for the last 10 years, when the pricing would have obviously been different.

You were given correct advice, removing a tier of product (TV/BB/Phone) means you lose the bundle discount you have, and mostly will increase the price of the package UNLESS you complete a package change when you are out of contract and agree to a new 12 month contract - which is what usually happens when they amend services when you threaten to leave.

You say you are £2400 down which I pointed out above is highly unlikely - but even if it was - you got a bill each month, which you paid - more fool you. You should have taken more firm action much sooner. You chose to wait an extra 8/9 years to do so.

Your BB speeds are not as advertised, well not much info there then - is this wireless, connected - have you tried trouble shooting? If your not getting the speeds when connected to the hub with a cable then try calling and asking them to help.

0 Kudos
david365
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well as long as I can remember VM have been charging me over £65 or so a month. Maybe it isn't £2400 but it is a hell of a lot.  I doubt think TV has ever been less than £15 a month. I have been out of contract for a long time.

Wez, you seem to know the details of how to change packages, however if the people you contact at VM know this information they keep it to themselves. I must have phoned 10 times over the last few years and they have never allowed me to move to a cheaper package - they just say there is absolutely nothing available to me. If what you say is correct then they have been dishonest.

Obviously threatening to leave is the only way to find out. Otherwise the cheaper advertised packages are normally only available to new customers.

You say more fool me for putting up with it. Touch wood I have never been scammed by phone calls or phishing emails, but I sympathise with those that have even though they shouldn't have fallen for it. VM have not been honest in their dealings with me hence my complaining. Just because I have put up with it doesn't make it ethical business practice.

Re broadband, they did recently get it up to 100mb ( wireless and/or wired direct to the router) but I suspect it has dropped back again. It appears if you want to get the advertised speeds you have to keep checking and then complain.  I would rather just get on and use it without having to get hung up on whether or not they are providing what they promise.

0 Kudos
david365
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would add, that although I have amended my contract now, it is not 12months, but a rolling 30 days. That is partly why I agreed to it.
0 Kudos