cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media’s price rises ‘break the law’, says Which?

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Virgin Media has been accused of unfairly increasing broadband prices for millions of customers in a move that has been condemned as “potentially unlawful”.

The consumer rights group Which? has accused the telecoms company of applying “aggressive” inflation-linked mid-contract price increases while making it difficult for customers to cancel their deal without paying high exit fees.

What do you think of VM's approach to price hikes? 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here
17 REPLIES 17

TBH - in the current climate - it's not about getting a good deal it is about getting what you can afford. Calling up and expecting to pay less, is probably not gonna happen, so people may have to reduce the services if saving money is what they are wanting to do. The early disconnection was removed as where the potentially higher uplifts. the RPI is not normally as high as the annual uplifts Virgin did. As I mentioned in a post earlier nearly all mobiles use the RPI for price rises every year and have done for years.

I think this refers to the VM attitude that you cannot leave your contract penalty free due to the increases, whereas other operators offer you the option to leave penalty free if you are not happy with the increases, rather than the size of increase. It appears VM have also altered the T&C's of their increases to include the fact that you are not able to leave penalty free if unhappy with increase, which is what 'Which' are campaigning against..

Maglona9
Joining in

it seems Virgin have been reported to Ofcom for the proposed hike in our bills!  Take a read of this: link will take you to relevant Which page

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/which-asks-ofcom-to-investigate-virgin-media-contracts-over-fea...ve+reported+Virgin+Media

I to was given a discount until the end of my contract, or so I thought. I have recently been told this was only a 4 month discount and that my bill is now going up to £71 from £31. I have been a loyal customer for 15 years. I will be cancelling my contract. Absolutely appalled by the poor customer service.

Lindyloo60
Settling in

It stinks, i have been trying to get in touch with vm since friday, my email says if i am not happy with RPI which is at the moment 8,9% +3,9% you can leave with no early exit fee.

What are my options now?
If you’re unhappy with anything in this email, you can cancel your package, including the O2 sim in your Volt bundle, any time before 31/10/2023 without paying any early cancellation fees.
To find out more, call us on 0345 454 1111 from any phone or 150 from your Virgin Media home phone.
Thanks for understanding and continuing to choose Virgin Media.

this is what is posted at the end of my email that i recieved last week about the price rises.

On my email its says you can leave free of charge up to 31/10/23