cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media’s price rises ‘break the law’, says Which?

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

Virgin Media has been accused of unfairly increasing broadband prices for millions of customers in a move that has been condemned as “potentially unlawful”.

The consumer rights group Which? has accused the telecoms company of applying “aggressive” inflation-linked mid-contract price increases while making it difficult for customers to cancel their deal without paying high exit fees.

What do you think of VM's approach to price hikes? 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here
17 REPLIES 17

victormarcel09
Joining in

@Cardiffman282 wrote:

Virgin Media has been accused of unfairly increasing broadband prices for millions of customers in a move that has been condemned as “potentially unlawful”.

The consumer rights group Which? has accused the telecoms company of applying “aggressive” inflation-linked mid-contract price increases while making it difficult for customers to cancel their deal without paying high exit fees.

What do you think of VM's approach to price hikes? 

As a customer, I am extremely disappointed with Virgin Media's approach to price hikes. It is unfair and potentially unlawful to increase broadband prices mid-contract, especially when customers are already locked into a fixed-term agreement. Additionally, making it difficult to cancel the contract without high exit fees further adds to the frustration. Virgin Media should prioritize customer satisfaction and transparency instead of implementing aggressive price increases.

Best Regards ,
EZ Drive MA

Virgin Media is the only major broadband firm which will use the RPI from next spring. I think this tells us a lot about VM and what it thinks of its customers. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here

mitch84
Fibre optic

From reading that article, end part anyway, It seems to suggest that any other time of the year a price rise could occur, customers could still have right to cancel?

VM should never have changed these terms, it stinks!, A customer should have the right whenever a price rise is forced onto them, the customer negotiated a price at time of signing new contract that they were happy with and could afford. This is why getting no option to cancel when price rises happen leads to people struggling even more.

I really do hope they are breaking the law, if not it should be a law that these companies can't NOT give you option to leave when prices rise, mid term contract.

sayekm
Fibre optic

When my price was increased in April mid contract. I was given the option to leave without any penalty. After a brief chat with customer service they applied a discount for the same amount as the increase until end of contract.

Also at each renewal I speak to retention team to negotiation a good deal. Always got great value for money.

I think price hike this is done by all ISP providers.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

Glad to hear that you got a good deal. Not everyone is up to haggling. From next year the option to leave with no early disconnection fee has been removed by VM. Also VM alone choose to use the higher RPI amongst the big ISPs. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I always take what Which says with a pinch of salt.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'I always take what Which says with a pinch of salt'

So, will you do the same when VM stick the RPI + 3.9% onto your bill next year, or, maybe twice next year, then tell you you have no right to cancel because they have the right to do as they like, and you are under contract??

sdhinternet
Tuning in

Just an observation, Most mobile operators have been using the RPI rate of inflation to increase customers bills, yet "Which" have never raised this as being "Potentially Unlawful" for those operators. Any rise is unwelcome but this reads like a "Witch Hunt" (forgive the pun, not intentional) - if it is "Potentially Unlawful" then it is also "Potentially Lawful"