Menu
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media O2 launched today

Now it's official.

https://www.virgin.com/about-virgin/virgin-group/news/virgin-media-o2-launches-with-sights-set-on-up... 

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media O2 launched today

How long will before we get the new branding on the board? I would have expected them to splash it everywhere from day 1. If it takes as long as it has been getting the hub firmware to work, I don’t expect it before 2031!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think Virgin Media O2 is an awkward name and I won't be in the slightest bit surprised if O2 were dropped. VM has a 30-year licence from Virgin Group to exclusively use the Virgin name and logo until 2037 (which was the main reason why Liberty Global retained the Virgin Media name after its takeover almost exactly eight years ago) and I'm expecting the same decision now.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Two text characters isn't much to drop (or add).  However it can cost millions just to do it.  Sodexho became Sodexo for 10 million IIRC.

https://www.companieshistory.com/sodexo/ 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What does that mean for Virgin Mobile?

Haven't they just recently signed a deal with Vodafone to provide their MVNO services?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Possibility of O2 running alongside EE and Vodafone?   news/virgin-media-o2-launches-with-sights-set-on-upgrading-the-uk 

Customer choice and service: Virgin Media O2 is set to bring real choice and convenience to the people and businesses of Britain. While there is no change to existing services today, plans are well underway to offer seamless broadband, entertainment and mobile services all in one place later this year

And from the business side virgin-media-o2/#VMO2faqs 

Are all mobile services from Virgin Media now delivered on the O2 network?

No. If you’re an existing Mobile customer with Virgin Media, your mobile service will continue to be delivered by Virgin Media using the EE or Vodafone network. You may be able to transfer to an O2 service in the future.

And from https://www.cityam.com/virgin-media-o2-promises-market-shake-up-after-31bn-merger/ 

While there are no changes to existing services, Virgin Media O2 is preparing to offer converged broadband, entertainment and mobile services in one place later this year.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

O2 has had many rebrands and name changes. I was with them at the beginning when they were Cellnet… then BT Cellnet… then O2 🙈

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My first mobile account was with Cellnet.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos