Menu
dizzydee18
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Green sub-station adjacent to my fence

I have one of the green tech boxes adjacent to my fence where repairs etc are undertaken.  It is a source of problems with the lads around here as they use it to jump on and climb over the fence to retrieve their football.  Recently this has caused damage to a fence panel and because they continue to sit on it and lean back on the damaged fence panel I worry that it will cause further damage.  What are the rules for painting /coating the box with anti-vandal paint?  I'm sure I will be in trouble if I do this but wonder whether Virgin Media might do this for me.  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Green sub-station adjacent to my fence

Possibly a daft idea, but sometimes the simpler ones...

Would a few well-placed cat spikes and/or trellis wire on the fence have the intended effect? 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@dizzydee18 wrote:

I have one of the green tech boxes adjacent to my fence where repairs etc are undertaken.  It is a source of problems with the lads around here as they use it to jump on and climb over the fence to retrieve their football.  Recently this has caused damage to a fence panel and because they continue to sit on it and lean back on the damaged fence panel I worry that it will cause further damage.  What are the rules for painting /coating the box with anti-vandal paint?  I'm sure I will be in trouble if I do this but wonder whether Virgin Media might do this for me.  

Guidance on using such paints suggests applying them at sufficient height above the ground so as to avoid innocent passers-by accidentally coming into contact with the paint. Heights no lower than 2.4m are often mentioned. Homeowners also have a 'duty of care' to anyone accessing their property, which does also include trespassers! Same principle applies to installing spike strips so, in both cases, using warning signs is also recommended alongside the deterrent measures.

You should do your own research on what specifically is/is not allowed before actually installing anything yourself. This would seem particularly important as you have already mentioned that the lads in question have previously climbed over the fence to retrieve their football and they would probably be likely to try to do so again, even with further security measures in place.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And there's the voice of reason....

By means of a serious reply, I think goslow has probably covered things quite well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos