Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Chamber Delaying My Dropped Kerb

I had a Birmingham City Council engineer come out and assess my property after applying for a dropped kerb. They have identified a Virgin Media Chamber right outside my property which is stopping them from giving me a quotation as VM will need to strengthen it first which increases my costs. I am already a VM customer so wanted to know if there was any way of getting this done without the inflated prices. My Council are already charging me an extortionate amount to drop the kerb in the first place but can seriously do without another high bill from VM for strengthening the chamber. Also the Council have told me the time frame for VM to carrying out the survey and costings is around 18 weeks which is not helping the matter at all thus hoping there is someone on here who could help me slash those time scales and hopefully the charges too.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Chamber Delaying My Dropped Kerb

I dont think you get how this stuff works.

There is nothing for VM to "slash"

They need a proper survey, then costings from a subcontractor, then agreement from you to the charges.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

and they do not have to do anything. they had the planning permission first.
If the work involves work that will disrupt services to others it will likely be denied.

You only really have 2 options. Pay what VM ask (if they agree) or don't drop the kerb

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You have to pay VM a fee (which is over £200 IIRC) to evaluate your request and write a report setting out what would have to be done and the cost of doing it. VM is however under no obligation to carry out the the work unless it's for a health or safety reason.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the other replies, we had our dropped kerb extended quite a few years ago now - and I agree, it's not cheap. The costs are probably the reason so many people illegally (and dangerously) don't bother, and drive their cars over raised kerbs onto what are basically paved gardens. It doesn't make that any less wrong though.

We didn't have any complications like street furniture or manholes to deal with, I can only imagine that makes the whole process even more costly. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts - you either pay the required fees or don't proceed. I'm sure you'd be among the first to complain if it was one of your neighbours doing this, and they "slashed" their costs by shortcutting something which then resulted in the loss of your services.

On the plus side, at least this side of VM is (by its nature) UK-based.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/paid-virgin-media-16k-move-broadband-cabinet-dr...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/paid-virgin-media-16k-move-broadband-cabinet-dr...

Whilst a lot of us on here have ball park estimations, thats a nice real world example...well I say nice, I mean "horror picture"

SO the dude/dudette in question is up to around 20K for a dropped kerb?

Scary

0 Kudos