Menu
Highlighted
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM breaching GDPR

took a call from "virgin Media" last week, 0345 045 0955 and the caller refused to provide any information that would identify him as a genuine rep from VM so I ended the call.  Checking on the web the phone number appears to reference back to VM so maybe it was ligit

BUT I am opted out from all marketing coms !! anyone able to share some light on this or should I just report it to the ICO ?

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM breaching GDPR

was it a marketing call?
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Maybe he was actually protecting your GDPR by refusing to give you any details until you had cleared security?

He could have been speaking to anyone until that had been completed.

0 Kudos
ianfromnotts
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

He shouldnt have been calling me in the first place! 

I should release account verification details to an unknown caller - are you serious?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

When we call customers we would seek to pass data protection to verify the identity of the person who has answered the phone.

We will attempt to obtain three random characters from the pass phrase on the account, if this is not successful, we will then ask a general question which can be either the E-Mail address you have saved on your account or the details of your Virgin Media package.

We will then ask a financially based question which would be either the sort code of your bank account, the value of your most recent bill or the date this is due to leave your account - if this is set up on a direct.

If you have opted out of marketing previously, we apologies for this, and politely ask you to call us on 0345 454 1111 so we can process this request again for you

Kindest regards,

David 

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ianfromnotts wrote:

I should release account verification details to an unknown caller - are you serious?

You said you are opted out of marketing calls, he could have been calling for another reason - problem with services. area outage, billing etc - these are not covered by marketing opt outs and can be made by VM.

And yes - if they only ask for random characters from your password, never the full thing. Otherwise you are in a catch 22 - you can't prove who are, as they can't pass security with you, without that, following GNPR, they can't give you any details about the account.

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ianfromnotts wrote:

only if it was a marketing call>

if it wasn't then the opt-out doesn't apply.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wez wrote:

@ianfromnotts wrote:

You said you are opted out of marketing calls, he could have been calling for another reason - problem with services. area outage, billing etc - these are not covered by marketing opt outs and can be made by VM.

Has Virgin Media ever made any unsolicited calls to any of their customers which has not been for marketing purposes? 

How often have ongoing issues reported by the customer and which require a response actually resulted in a return call?

How many times have customers been told, when speaking to call centre representatives, that they will get a call back which never happens?

It's a fair assumption that any unsolicited calls from Virgin Media will be for marketing purposes and should be dealt with as such.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
wez
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

@wez wrote:

@ianfromnotts wrote:

Has Virgin Media ever made any unsolicited calls to any of their customers which has not been for marketing purposes? 

How often have ongoing issues reported by the customer and which require a response actually resulted in a return call?

How many times have customers been told, when speaking to call centre representatives, that they will get a call back which never happens?

It's a fair assumption that any unsolicited calls from Virgin Media will be for marketing purposes and should be dealt with as such.

In a short answer Yes. In a longer answer I've had calls about my billing when changing banks the DD missed the normal dates as the bank hadn't set it up in time, also had a call to inform me of an unplanned service outage. So it does happen.

There been other customers on here commenting on these types of calls as well.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@wez wrote:also had a call to inform me of an unplanned service outage.

This is almost unheard of and will in all probability not happen again.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection