Menu
ambvol
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfair ( illegal) contract

i have been with Virgin Media/comtel since year dot. in recent years I have been increasingly niggled by their annual increased service charges because they are always well above inflation. 

This year after they announced the annual increase I tried to complain about my contract which I changed only a few months ago to a lower service charge. I explained that I was thinking of leaving because the Service charge which I had agreed only a few months ago was increasing which I thought I had avoided. They agreed once again a new 18 month service charge which started in Feb. 

When i checked my bills recently for the last 3 months I found that the £3 .50 monthly increase had been added to my new contract. 

I have been conned. Surely it should be made very clear in all contracts that service charges are subject yearly to increases.

I am stuck in a contract which seemly I cannot leave until they try to impose another increase.

This is a scam a , a con. 

The public should be educated to this scam.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unfair ( illegal) contract

It will be written in the small print somewhere.  All companies put there prices up yearly, most of the other networks put there price up by nearly double what Virgin have this year, and there was a freeze on last years rise

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Maybe they should say something like this. But even if they did wouldn;t anyone read what they are agreeing to before agreeing

Changes to prices, terms and conditions and the services we provide to you – See Sections K and N

-  We may increase our charges under this agreement at any time. We may also change these terms and conditions and the services that we have agreed to provide to you.

-  If we do any of these things and the changes are likely to materially disadvantage you we will notify you of this and you can cancel this agreement by giving us 30 days’ notice in accordance with Section N, and you will not need to pay an early disconnection fee.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'I have been increasingly niggled by their annual increased service charges because they are always well above inflation'

virgin's increases aren't linked to inflation. virgin are not part of how inflation is calculated. inflation is just a statistic of how much a basket of items went up the previous month. virgin/sky/bt can increase prices by however much they choose to as all 3 are part of the aforementioned.

apcyberax answers the other part of your question.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This old chestnut again!  There isn't a single figure for 'inflation'. Inflation refers, in terms of pricing, to a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

In the UK the 'inflation' figure used to be based on the Retail Price Index, RPI, but more recently the Consumer Price Index has been used.  The CPI is generally lower than the RPI due to the differences in the bundle of goods and services included in the prices monitored.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos