Menu
SteveTetch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

UHD on the BBC

I was channel-hopping just before I went to bed last night (Sat, 15th August), when I caught 'Guardians of the Galaxy' about 15 minutes in on BBC1, so settled down to watch it.  It became apparent quite quickly that the BBC HD channel (108) was showing it in UHD, which, through my VM Tivo box and Samsung SmartTV, looked amazing.  I'm in Essex, so get BBC for London and the South East.

I'd thought they limited UHD broadcasts to occasional live sports events and the odd high-profile programs on iPlayer but this film isn't available after broadcast, (presumably due to some rights issues).  Strangely, despite the evidence of my own eyes and my TV's settings display, I can find no indication on the BBC website (or anywhere else, for that matter), that the broadcast wasn't in plain old HD.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to find out about such UHD broadcasts before they happen?  I'd have made a point of watching last night's film from the beginning if I'd  known.  (Sadly, I fell asleep before the end, but I have seen it before).

Apologies in advance if I'm just being dim and missing something obvious.

Regards,

Steve

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
FrogCF
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: UHD on the BBC

Hi,

If you've got one of the devices in the table below, you can enjoy all episodes of these programmes in stunning Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR)

These are our latest Ultra HD trials on BBC iPlayer.

Click on Settings in the app
Then select Video Quality
Choose either Best Quality / High Definition or Standard Definition (we'll explain Best Quality below)
If you set HD as the default, BBC iPlayer will still play the SD version for programmes that aren’t available in HD.

Why am I seeing a Best Quality option instead of High Definition?
You'll see this if your connected TV device or games console supports HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). This allows you to get the best quality video your internet speed can support. Video playback quality will adapt to the speed of your internet connection.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What makes you think it was uhd on a linear channel?

BBC have only ever trialled uhd via iPlayer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
SteveTetch
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SPGray,

I've checked a few things in lght of your question and it appears I was wrong.

It was the clarity of the picture that made me think it was UHD - it seemed so much better than a standard HD feed. The status button on my TV remote control shows the resolution of the current picture and, last night, showed "3840x2160 /50p - UHD". I thought this reflected the source transmission and would be different for an HD channel (or, indeed a standard one).

I've just checked again today, however, and that legend remains unchanged no matter what channel I select. I guess it just reflects the native behaviour of the TV.

It was late and I was tired, (though, it must be stressed, not emotional!) so I guess I just jumped to the worng conclusion.

My bad. Apologies for the false alarm.

It was SUCH a good picture, however...
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveTetch,

it sounds like your TV was doing the upscaling to 4K

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@SteveTetch wrote:

I was channel-hopping just before I went to bed last night (Sat, 15th August), when I caught 'Guardians of the Galaxy' about 15 minutes in on BBC1, so settled down to watch it.  It became apparent quite quickly that the BBC HD channel (108) was showing it in UHD, which, through my VM Tivo box and Samsung SmartTV, looked amazing.  I'm in Essex, so get BBC for London and the South East.

I'd thought they limited UHD broadcasts to occasional live sports events and the odd high-profile programs on iPlayer but this film isn't available after broadcast, (presumably due to some rights issues).  Strangely, despite the evidence of my own eyes and my TV's settings display, I can find no indication on the BBC website (or anywhere else, for that matter), that the broadcast wasn't in plain old HD.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to find out about such UHD broadcasts before they happen?  I'd have made a point of watching last night's film from the beginning if I'd  known.  (Sadly, I fell asleep before the end, but I have seen it before).

Apologies in advance if I'm just being dim and missing something obvious.

Regards,

Steve

The BBC HD channel carries no local content in England. While VM receives an uncompressed feed from the BBC, its unlikely this would be put out on the network as the current mux it uses cannot accomodate a UHD stream. The BBC definately do put UHD content on the iPlayer though.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos