Menu
ricoles
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Telegraph pole

I have an old Rediffiusion telegraph pole in my garden, was told recently that Virgin Media would be who i contacted to get it taken down, can anyone help on this matter please.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telegraph pole

no idea if it is virgin.
but if the pole is covered by a wayleave agreement then it's unlikely to be removed.

i take it you got no answer on theanswerbank.co.uk where you posted the same question?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
ricoles
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i actually forgot i posted it there years ago.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Virginmedia do not use telegraph poles, all the infrastructure for VM is run in ducting under pavements etc. Telegraph poles tend too be BT / Openreach.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ricoles wrote:

I have an old Rediffiusion telegraph pole in my garden, was told recently that Virgin Media would be who i contacted to get it taken down, can anyone help on this matter please.

Rediffusion seemingly operated a variety of networks in the past including early cable TV networks.

http://www.rediffusion.info/

Trying to find out who owns the pole now might be rather difficult.

Presumably there are no wires connected to it any more.

You can try Openreach here (who may be aware of it if it was shared in any way with them in the past)

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/contactus.do

'Locating our network' or 'Altering our network' depending what you want to do.

Making contact and receiving sensible information from Openreach though is at least as (or even more) convoluted than communicating with VM so don't expect to get anything too useful or sensible out of them!

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Rediffusion, like British Relay Wireless was a first generation multiwire "relay" service for off air reception. All these services ceased in the early 1980s.

Rediffusion was part of the group that eventually formed Granada TV, which now basically runs ITV. It is obselete abandoned equipment now, like all our BRW ducts in the road & cable round the eaves of our houses here. Neither Virgin nor Openreach is responsible for it, so I would contact your Local Authority safety team if action needs taking.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ricoles
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It has one cable running to flats behind the house, but it’s not in use.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the offending pole is in a back garden on private land then I think I can hazard a guess on what the LA will say!

Even if you fully establish that the pole/line is totally defunct and not in use, you will presumably still have to get in touch with the freeholder of the flats as well to gain their permission to access their land to disconnect the cable at their end too?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This makes an interesting read:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6092366/old-rediffusion-pole-blown-into-garden 

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos