Menu
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Take Virgin Media to Court - any stories to share?

I have been trying for many weeks to contact Virgin about an area wide complete outage of broadband service and intermittent service over a longer period. They are very difficult to contact in the first place, then communication seems to break off with them saying they will do something, which they do not do, so you have to start all over again. So, incredibly time consuming and frustrating, to get absolutely nowhere.

So I am looking into going to court under the process of what used to be know as the Small Claims Court, now jt's just 'making a claim to court for money' Very simple process that should cost between £25 and £50 depending on how much you want.

I'm interested to hear whether any other exhausted customers have tried this of something similar?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Take Virgin Media to Court - any stories to share?

Hello

The best way of getting anything done would be to raise a complaint too VM, have a look at this https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/J3085_Code_of_Pract... which explains the process.

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

if you taking it to court it might be wise to refrain from talking about it in a public forum, as might prejudice your case.

however, taking it to court you would need to show evidence of financial loss, and as the virgin residential service does not provide business level SLAs and can't be used to run a business then you would be hard pushed to show any loss other than what you would get from the automatic compensation scheme that refunds you for complete loss of service.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I have tried this route, to no avail. Literally came to a dead end in the browser! I found it hard to believe.

0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I don't think that is a problem. Nothing is mentioned here that would prejudice legal proceedings.

Virgin has admitted fault in the limited texts we have had, and promised compensation, but nothing specific in terms of amounts and timescale, and then it goes quiet.

I'm asking the community whether anyone else has tried to help Virgin get their act together in this way.

0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, I did not find that PDF document with it's useful link to CEDR ,  literally came to a dead end after following the complaints menu, I couldn't believe it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

the compensation scheme is documented and automatic.
for every full day of no service (after the first 2 days of you reporting it) you are entitled to a set amount.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

You say report the fault, beporting a fault is very difficult or even impssible. I tried many times to no avail:

From the landline of the account, queue for 20mins average then:

to be told to use another method of contact.

be told (several times) that  someone will call back - which does not happen.

be promised of compensation which does not happen.

Text complaint system:

Hours of texting with long waits, sometimes over 24 hours, waiting for a reply.

Endless repeats of account password etc.

Endless repeats of nature of problems and /or complaints.

Still, for me, nowhere near a resolution for my complaint. The area wide outage (which lasted weeks) seems to be fixed, for now, but that would have happened anyway. What do I do if there's another problem?

I took on a new contract based on effusive apologies and a promise that the technical would be fixed and refunds made. This obviously has not happened. The text conversation is still going on (perhaps).

I would like a quiet life, with a service I can rely on and, if it goes wrong, a reliable and a reasonable method of reporting problems.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

that's all understandable, but why do you feel a claim in the small claims court is the correct action to take?
what claim value would you be making? it would need to show that there has been a financial loss on your behalf. IMO you would not win the claim.

you should me more looking at exhausting the complaints process and then passing it to CISAS if it is not resolved to your reasonable satisfaction.

of course, the end result even after all that might be that you need to change ISP to one that has a local support team (usually some of the more niche ISPs).

0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I really have been trying very hard, over a long period (months) a) to report faults with the service and b) to complain about the seeming impossibility of progressing with any issue, and about Virgin Media simply not doing what they promised during the limited communication I have had with them.

Legal action appeared to be the only option and I'm still going to look into it. Very simple, online process, very reasonable fee. However this group has provided some helpful messages about following up complaints and so on, thank you, I will use them. However as far as I can tell Virgin Media has a very effective system in place to defer / complaints.

The many hours I have spent (and are still spending, obviously) should not be necessary to access a broadband connection.

0 Kudos