Menu
emloula
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Small claims court

A contractor for Virgin Media badly damaged my property 2 years ago. After a year of them promising to fix it and then them totally ghosting me, I took them to small claims court for 4k and won. 

However, they haven't paid the court judgment. I have seen that they had multiple outstanding cases against them which are yet to be paid, some going back years.

The matter is currently with the High Court. Although they would need to own property for it to be taken by the bailiffs and I have a feeling everything is rented. 

Has anyone else gone through this please?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Small claims court

What exactly did they do to cause £4k worth of damage?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
emloula
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Made 15 holes the size of golf balls in our brand new monocouche render. All the way up the front of our house. Guys first day on the job and didn't have a clue. 

His boss came out the same day to access the damage and couldn't believe it. Promised to get it fixed but nothing. Nearly a year later a contractor came out to access the damage, he laughed and said "im not touching that with a barge pole, the lot will have to come off". Didn't hear from them again other than a letter to say it had been fixed and case closed. 

And guess what.. 3 quotes and 3 companies later, the lot had to come off and be redone. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have escalated the claim to the high court for enforcement, then I'd guess you just have to wait for that process to run its course and see if they can enforce the claim for you and get your money for you.

There used to be a series on TV about the work of high court enforcement officers. If the officers felt they had good evidence that an asset belonged to the debtor, the onus was on the debtor to prove that the asset didn't belong to them to prevent it from being seized. The programmes often featured the agents turning up at the corporate HQs of big-name UK companies to collect money. The enforcement agents on the TV programme seemed to have a good success rate in recouping monies owed.

Sounds like a lengthy and irritating process to try to resolve. Hope you are able to enforce your claim and get your money back.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would think that VM is liable as it's their contractor, so it's surely best to seek compensation from VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I would think that VM is liable as it's their contractor, so it's surely best to seek compensation from VM.

Very good point. I had been reading this as VM being taken to court.

0 Kudos
emloula
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did take VM to court, not the contractor. 

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I see no problem at all as a High Court enforement agent has the power to seize assets, and VM has plenty to satisfy your tiny debt. In practice seizure is rarely done in a case like this, the biggest problem that agents have when dealing with big companies is finding the appropriate manager, usually in the legal or finance department, who can authorise payment.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it's with the high court you can escalate it with them to enforce the debt but you may be charged for that

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos