Menu
chontay
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

STOP THE HOLD MUSIC!!!

Seriously you have to turn off this hold music or give us the option of NOT listening to it! It is absolute cr*p and just an insult to anyone having to wait on hold for 30 mins+ You have so many other requests for this to be stopped it's not that difficult to just give us an option of silence or a phone ringing instead. 

chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: STOP THE HOLD MUSIC!!!

calm down!!!
if the hold music is your only complaint then you should count yourself lucky.
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your moan is more about the time you spent on hold than the music.

If it was just a phone ringing or silence you'd be equally as irritated about that.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i will answer this one. having headed a call center team in a previous life we did get complaints about on hold music. be it they didn't like beethoven, it was too loud, not loud enough, wanted other music to be played. one person even asked if audio from itv could be played so they could still watch the television whilst on the phone.

on hold music is played so that it keeps you near to the phone should you be connected and is used in conjunction with 'we are sorry for keeping you waiting' etc. having no on hold music/silences and many would think they had been cut off. we had it very loud, but then some of our customers were hard of hearing.

ultimately you can't win. no call center is sitting there waiting around for calls. some calls take a while to deal with, others not so. hence on hold music to say 'we are still here'.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yeah it's as if some people think the call centre staff are just sitting there with their feet up listening to phones ringing saying "we'll let that one ring for 30 minutes before we answer it ok?".

these folk should spend a day in a call centre listening to the abuse the call takers take on a daily basis. maybe they would then change their attitude when having to call a call centre next time.
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And according to QI hold music was discovered accidentally when one call center had a ground fault on their telephone system and calls on hold were getting music from the local radio station, the call center owner patented the idea soon after, people don't like dead lines as they don't know if they've been cut off

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
balladeHoldMusi
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is a very poor excuse, I spent 3 minutes being held up getting to the option that I wanted to be at. Holds ups like can we send promo's to you (no), want sky sports (no)... It seems really easy for you to add an option if it means you selling more, but impossible to add an option that's say "please press 2 to stop this mind numbing pop music".

Fundamentally, you can win, if you just reprogram your computer. I'm can only assume this pop music torture is some sales strategy.

ultimately you can't win. no call center is sitting there waiting around for calls. some calls take a while to deal with, others not so. hence on hold music to say 'we are still here'.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok, so if there was no hold music, how can you tell you are still on hold or if the call has dropped?
your real complaint is you want the calls answered quicker.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos