Menu
Sk2010
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Restricting Teens Internet Time

Good morning!  I hope everyone is keeping safe.

We would like to be able to restrict the access on our teens devices to the WiFi at certain times.  Is there a way this can be done through setting without us having to take devices away?

Thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Joshua_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Restricting Teens Internet Time

Hello, one thing you could look into downloading is the Virgin Connect app, once you've set this up it will give you greater control over your internet at home, see which devices are connected to the internet and even block/restrict certain individual devices, if for example your child is playing on games consoles into the early hours of the morning you will be able to stop internet to the console itself.

Hope this helps.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out , all opinions are my own. Find out more

If you have found my response helpful today please take the time to mark my answer as helpful and give some Kudos.

Although I work for Vm all/most posts are of my own opinion

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Sk2010 The VM connect app only lets you pause Internet access to devices manually, it doesn't have a scheduled timer option.  Many devices have parental controls that allow you to limit screen time.

If device specfic parental controls are not an option then to get the level of control you are looking for the best option is get your own router and put the VM Hub into modem mode.

A quick Google search brings up these lists of best parental control routers:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-parental-control-routers-4160776

https://www.wifiattendance.com/blog/parental-control-routers/

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
KateBrock
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have downloaded the app but cant see where to restrict device access as suggested in your reply. I am not technical minded so an idiots guide would be helpful.....cheers 

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi KateBrock,

You might find some help here

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Most teens are very tech savvy and will find away around most things you try to put in place. It’s easy to circumvent the VM DNS servers and also a pin-hole reset of the hub gives most teens access. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Timwilky
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A decent firewall should allow you to set schedules and apply rules for devices.

I use pfSense and it contains these features. But if they have mobile data. they can then bypass

0 Kudos