cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of modem mode

lotharmat
Community elder

I've had a thought..

If VM remove the ability for the hubs to function in Modem mode would this mean that they would have to guarantee wifi capability? 

We know that the hubs are pretty poor routers and WiFi transceivers 

Does anyone think that VM would go down this route? 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

They wouldn't do that for that reason, as they are fully aware of the mediocrity of the hubs as routers.  There would also be competition law implications of mandating their own router, as there are rules in place requiring customers to have a choice of "termination equipment", and whilst there are few signs of active enforcement, it would be an exceptionally foolhardy company that wanted to become a test case.  Nominally the same rules apply to the modem, but because VM operate an integrated ISP+network there's no prospect of that being enforced unless VM choose to "unbundle" the network, and they missed that particular opportunity about five years ago. 

That was a pity - imagine the "what if" scenario where you could use the DOCSIS network with the ISP of your choice, the network was operated under stringent SLAs along with rules on utilisation plus further regulated investment to support higher demand and improved technology, and alongside that Openreach would only be focusing on FTTP for areas not served by cable, and upgrading to FTTP only on an asset renewal basis within it.  The net savings to the UK would be several billion quid, the cable network would be operated with more resources and better delivery...if only. 

Given the rolling **bleep**-ups that occur with every firmware change I suppose there's always the possibility that they'd unintentionally disable modem mode in the settings menus, but deliberately?  No.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Other ISPs like sky don't have modem mode but still have questionable wifi

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

They wouldn't do that for that reason, as they are fully aware of the mediocrity of the hubs as routers.  There would also be competition law implications of mandating their own router, as there are rules in place requiring customers to have a choice of "termination equipment", and whilst there are few signs of active enforcement, it would be an exceptionally foolhardy company that wanted to become a test case.  Nominally the same rules apply to the modem, but because VM operate an integrated ISP+network there's no prospect of that being enforced unless VM choose to "unbundle" the network, and they missed that particular opportunity about five years ago. 

That was a pity - imagine the "what if" scenario where you could use the DOCSIS network with the ISP of your choice, the network was operated under stringent SLAs along with rules on utilisation plus further regulated investment to support higher demand and improved technology, and alongside that Openreach would only be focusing on FTTP for areas not served by cable, and upgrading to FTTP only on an asset renewal basis within it.  The net savings to the UK would be several billion quid, the cable network would be operated with more resources and better delivery...if only. 

Given the rolling **bleep**-ups that occur with every firmware change I suppose there's always the possibility that they'd unintentionally disable modem mode in the settings menus, but deliberately?  No.

lotharmat
Community elder
I'm possibly showing my ignorance as I've been with VM since Diamond Cable days..

Can you not get your own VDSL / ADSL router modem and just use a username and password to connect?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@lotharmat wrote:
I'm possibly showing my ignorance as I've been with VM since Diamond Cable days..

Can you not get your own VDSL / ADSL router modem and just use a username and password to connect?

Technically, yes, but some ISPs (I believe Sky do this), preconfigure the router with the DSL login credentials and won't tell you what they are. If you are particularly so inclined, you could sniff the details via Wireshark as the supplied router boots up and then use those with your own device.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM tried router mode only with the super hub 1 and failed people were just putting a router behind it and DMZ to it but some routers that do DDNS send interface IP as 192.168.0.2 when you want the WAN IP. then thier was VPN problems and VoIP problems SSH NAT problems they can never get router mode to work for everything.

Sometimes I think router mode is a way to get MI5 on your LAN! or a failed NAT experiment to free up IP's or so VM don't have to do ARP protection or because of the way they want to do IPv6. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

BT offers Complete Wi-Fi which, for an extra £12pm, provides WiFi coverage of the whole home by using the Smart Hub 2 and up to three WiFi boosters. If it doesn't work BT will apply a £100 credit to your bill. My suspicion is that the added money which BT gets is greater than the cashbacks, so it makes me wonder why VM doesn't do something similar with its hub 3 and hub 4 in router mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

My suspicion is that the added money which BT gets is greater than the cashbacks, so it makes me wonder why VM doesn't do something similar with its hub 3 and hub 4 in router mode.

Because we don't want them too.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look at the speeds with BT’s guaranteed WiFi system.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2