cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of external feed

Toonraider
Joining in

Hi everyone. I wish to have removed entirely from my property a virgin media broadband brown box and the associated cabling to the street telegraph pole. It doesn't even enter the house either. Also the fitting team chose the lazy option of fixing the anchorage point to my roof line, rather than drilling to the wall. I may want to change that in the near future anyway so needs to go. Can I just remove the box, cut the cable from my property and just coil it up near the telegraph pole?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like you may be about to cut down an RFoG / FTTP tube & fibre.

If it is the tube is quite tough and may not be easy to coil up.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When was it fitted?  Do you have a Virginmedia contract? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Maybe in the last month and no contract with VM

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That figures because Virgin have only very recently started using the telephone poles.  Their installation contractors have history for installation at the wrong address 

Is this your own house? Could it have been ordered by a landlord? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

It's our house. Been here for 17 years. Came back off holuday and it was here.?!

I did ring up about it to be told.... I may aswell leave it there incase I need it in the future.... Doubt it! 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It costs them money to install it, so they'd rather not spend more money to remove it. 

They are other posters on this forum who have been waiting months for unwanted connections to be removed.

There are no harmful voltages on the cable so it's quite safe to handle. Just make sure you don't leave it loose on the pavement where it could be a tripping hazard. 

- jpeg1

The telegraph pole is actually across the road from my house. I'll just have to be careful of traffic as I chop the wire. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Somewhere near you there will be another Virginmedia customer who is upset that their broadband still hasn't been connected. 

- jpeg1

Sounds like you may be about to cut down an RFoG / FTTP tube & fibre.

If it is the tube is quite tough and may not be easy to coil up.

Thin wire about 2mm inside an outer sheath. It seems pliable enough.