cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocate Virgin Cable/Duct From Pavement

leightrevett
Joining in

Hi there,

Im going ahead shortly with extending my current driveway and currently a virgin media cable runs along the side of a 1.5m high bank.

When the driveway is extended it exposes the virgin media duct at the pavement level in an awkward position especially when it comes to getting the dropped kerb done.

I’m not a virgin media customer previous owner was around 5yrs ago. But might be looking into becoming one in the future.

Is there any way I could get it rerouted or extended by a visit from an engineer? Or which cable I could install and leave an area free in the driveway surface for a joint.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You might want to take a read of this previous post on the same subject, which itself references a couple of older ones.

Re-routing VM's cables isn't as simple as you think it is, potentially taking dozens of customers off-service for the duration of the work. Even assuming it's viable, that's a cost you'd likely be asked to bear.

It may help posting some photos of the ground and where you want to extend etc - it's unlikely to alter the answer, but may just give a better idea.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@leightrevett wrote:

Hi there,

Im going ahead shortly with extending my current driveway and currently a virgin media cable runs along the side of a 1.5m high bank.<snip>

Is it one single cable in a conduit which just serves your own property or several cables in conduit which serves many properties elsewhere? First option might be feasible, second option unlikely as already advised by @japitts (unless you have very deep pockets).

Hi, it’s just a single cable currently going up a vertical piece of capping on a brick gate pillar then tucked along the grass bank which will all get removed. So basically need the single service cable extending prior to lay in the driveway subbase.