Menu
Salubrius
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Receiving mail for someone else at my address

Hi, I've lived at my current address for over a year now and despite sending letters back marked "not known at this address" Virgin media are still sending letters to a previous customer. I don't have any forwarding address and it's not the person I purchased the property from. I've been trying to find an email address to report this to and send a picture of my council tax bill as proof, but there seems to be no facility for this. It says they are going to send letters every 6 months so I'd like to save a tree! Can someone give me a way of contacting support to report this please? I'm not with Virgin Media.

Thanks 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving mail for someone else at my address

Are these account-related/official comms? Or just marketing bumph?

If the latter, the effort/reward ratio probably pushes these straight to the recycling bin. We still get some letters relating to the previous residents here, going back just over 10years - some companies (not VM in this case) just don't get the message and it's not worth the effort anymore.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Salubrius
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, marketing bumph goes straight in the recycle bin. This stuff is about a debt dating back to over 6 months before I even viewed the property, by which time it was empty. This is why I'd like to email with proof that my husband and I live here now. Previous residents seem to have run up debts with a lot of companies and normally my council tax bill is proof and the letters stop.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just put “Not known at the address” and put them back in the post. NEVER open them, I think you will find it’s illegal.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Salubrius
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I've been doing that for over a year... How many years do you advise doing it for? Surely it's better to advise companies so they stop wasting money and actually try looking for the person?

MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cross the address out and use big writing, you can also draw a circle round the return address which could be anywhere on the envelope.  Tudor is also correct https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/part/V/crossheading/offences-of-interfering-with-the-ma... 

I've received someone else's mail (royalmail.com)

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos