cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price rises, cancelling Virgin TV, watching freeview

Ginger_Overlord
Tuning in

Hi,

Recently got the dreaded PRICE RISE letter from Virgin and I'm now seriously thinking of cancelling my TV package (and landline) to balance things out and keep my bill down. I'm thinking of sticking with Virgin for the internet as I sometimes work from home and I also have a smart TV.

Question. We don't watch too much TV anyhow, but I should be able to watch all the normal channels on Freeview on my smart TV if I cancel my TV package with Virgin, shouldn't I?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

GingerOverlord

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ginger_Overlord wrote:

Hi,

Recently got the dreaded PRICE RISE letter from Virgin and I'm now seriously thinking of cancelling my TV package (and landline) to balance things out and keep my bill down. I'm thinking of sticking with Virgin for the internet as I sometimes work from home and I also have a smart TV.

Question. We don't watch too much TV anyhow, but I should be able to watch all the normal channels on Freeview on my smart TV if I cancel my TV package with Virgin, shouldn't I?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

GingerOverlord

You can find out the Freeview channels available in your area below

https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-channel-checker

Your smart TV will allow some streaming and catchup but not for the full set of all Freeview channels. Have you got a TV aerial?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ginger_Overlord wrote:

Hi,

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

GingerOverlord

You can find out the Freeview channels available in your area below

https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-channel-checker

Your smart TV will allow some streaming and catchup but not for the full set of all Freeview channels. Have you got a TV aerial?

Hi Goslow,

Thanks for your response.

We have a TV upstairs with an aerial so I suppose we're OK in the TV department then.

Right, time to cancel my TV package and landline... 

Cheers,

GingerOverlord

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ginger_Overlord wrote:

Hi Goslow,

Thanks for your response.

We have a TV upstairs with an aerial so I suppose we're OK in the TV department then.

Right, time to cancel my TV package and landline... 

Cheers,

GingerOverlord

Two things I would say if you are doing this:

1) Dropping services removes a lot of discount you currently have on your Broadband. Virgin are far from being the cheapest Broadband only provider, so if you do have any operators in your area providing FTTC or particularly newer FTTH services there are some very cheap deals around at the moment.

2) If you don’t have a TV aerial outlet downstairs, then you may need the help of an aerial installer. Go for one that is CAI+ accredited as these are more likely to do a decent job. While there may be a lot of tempting set-top type aerials about, most of these are not worth the money. While you may be paying for something that looks “space age” & has lots of claims about outperforming other products, you are usually just paying for the powered amplifier in the bottom that is actually making up for the poor design up top. Unless you are within 10 miles of the local transmitter & have a window to put it in that faces the right way, then you would be far better just getting someone in & getting the job done properly. Cost £100 to £125 for new kit. Prospective working life up to 25 years if fitted correctly. An amplified set-top aerial would probably last about 2-3 years of regular use before it needs replacement.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks