cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase for being a loyal customer

simon1112
Tuning in

I have been a loyal customer for over 30yrs. Every 18 months I have to battle to keep down the price when my contract comes to an end.

I have made no changes to my bundle in the last 3 yrs but...

Jan 2020 cost £71pm

Jan 2021 cost £85pm

July 2021 cost £126pm

Just been on phone and chat for about an hour  and they agree to reduce to £96pm - still a 10% price increase. It is clear that new customers get much better offers and is a real shame that VM do not look after existing customers once they have 'got you'

10 REPLIES 10

Hey, Simon1111 

I think it should be a given that Virgin Media, like every other company, big or small, will charge the maximum they can get away with legally.

There may be 1 in 10,000 who might just query that cost, so if they are called out, Virgin are more than willing to give you a discount, (most times in the form of the so-called Valued Customer scam) ... Ringing 'you' is one way of them preempting your options on staying or leaving .....

I have been a 'Loyal' customer for many many years but had to leave due to moving house and at the time VM wasn't available, so Sky it was. Once VM was available, I switched back at the earliest opportunity ... But recently, I've come to believe it was the BIGGEST mistake of my life tbh.

When my contract was due for renewal, I contacted VM saying I wasn't renewing. I wasn't ringing to get some 'deal' but they moved me to someone else, and the ballet began again. Given there was nothing on TV, I put the woman on speaker and went to make a butty, dropping in the odd 'yes' or 'hmm' now and then. Finally, a caved in and said "OK" ... Her 'offer' included a 2nd box & a sim card. I told her I needed neither and she said:

"Put the sim card in the box and put both under the bed,"

The issues started when I was again up for renewal. The first I knew about it was when the DD went out of my account (there had been no notification from VM)  I called and was told my 'offer' had expired, I said I had no idea I was on an OFFER! ... She said she would renew my 18-month contract but it would be at the higher price. I cut her off mid-sentence trying to explain that the over £40 hike wasn't going to happen. I said you have 2 options here, accept my leaving, or, give me the same package without a price increase, she began to explain the price, but I just said "tick, tock, tick, tock" then hung up.

Five minutes later someone (apparently the Indian woman's supervisor) rang me to start the conversation over. Needless to say, I said it was one or the other, and he agreed to renew at the old price. 

Imagine my surprise when my first (and subsequent bills) was £6.00 above my original.

Moto: Argue, because if you don't they will shaft you well and good !!!!!

Steve

Utrinque Paratus