Menu
Yorkshireman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Price Increase of 8.5%

When I queried this latest increase, this is part of the reply I received;

"... price changes which allows us to continue investing in our network, products and services, whilst also ensuring that we remain competitive and great value for money."

This is nothing more than a banal statement that companies trot out when they are desperate to avoid giving a specific answer to a specific question.

So, I've asked Virgin for specific answers to these questions.

1. With the current rate of inflation at 0.6%, how do they reconcile their 8.5% price increase?

2. How are customers, particular those on fixed incomes, supposed to accommodate a price increase of 8.5%? Are wages and pensions going to increase by that amount this year? Of course not, especially with the economy on its knees, and yet Virgin appear to see nothing wrong in piling on the financial misery.

Finally, their initial reply was classified as 'Education given'!  Perhaps, it's Virgin who could use some education?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increase of 8.5%

'With the current rate of inflation at 0.6%, how do they reconcile their 8.5% price increase?'

the rate of inflation has nothing to do with how much virgin/sky increase their prices by. the rate of inflation is a statistic based on a 600 plus basket of items of how much things went up the previous month. virgin aren't even in that basket. if they and sky increased their prices by 1000% it wouldn't affect the rate of inflation.

there hasn't been a price increase in 18 months.

whether we like it or not prices are increasing all over in different industries. i personally think the rate of inflation is nonsense because it is only specific typical prices of a selection of items. even milk it is the price generically not a particular brand.

as to why companies are increasing their prices during a pandemic/high unemployment - to make money. they are a business.
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

1. With the current rate of inflation at 0.6%, how do they reconcile their 8.5% price increase?

Did you also compalin when VM didn't put up the price last year.. The amount they want to charge is upto the business. Its agreed by customers in the contract.

2. How are customers, particular those on fixed incomes, supposed to accommodate a price increase of 8.5%? Are wages and pensions going to increase by that amount this year? Of course not, especially with the economy on its knees, and yet Virgin appear to see nothing wrong in piling on the financial misery.

Companies have to do what they need to. ISP are under higher loads and that costs money. If people can't pay for it then there is part in the contract allowing them to leave and find a more cost-effective provider. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Yorkshireman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"if they and sky increased their prices by 1000% it wouldn't affect the rate of inflation".  😂

0 Kudos
Yorkshireman
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well, although I don't agree with your reasoning, at least you had the decency to frame an understandable response.

0 Kudos