Menu
ARG1UK
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Price Increase! What a rip off!

So within 5 days of upgrading from Ultimate Oomph 500mb to Ultimate Volt 1gb (Not really a good deal for an exiting customer who's shown years of loyalty for what? nothing it seems. We pay more than £20 a month more than a new customer would for exactly the same deal! and Virgin think they are doing us a favour)  having been with Virgin many many years the icing on the cake or kick in the proverbials is today I get an email saying in March my bill is going up another £8.50! 

Less than 5 day after we agreed another 18 month contract, Virgin, I despair at you

Oh and that Unlimited O2 sim they promise you so you get a better deal, isn't really unlimited, its capped at 256Gb of data so that misleading let alone mis advertising,  they sign you up and then you find that you have to deal with Virgin and O2 customer service depending on what you have an issue with.

merger? really? more akin to line our shareholders pockets it seems 😞

I'm disgusted at this

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increase! What a rip off!

I would check that the price increase actually applies to your new contract as it seems very close together and there is a high possibility that the letter was already on its way to you for your previous bundle.

Also where have you read about the 256gb cap? That's not mentioned in the Unlimited plan terms here https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/unlimited-tariff-terms

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
ARG1UK
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was told that by the person from O2 who called me regarding sim activation. He also said it was capped when abroad as well.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is a Fair Usage Policy for EU inclusive roaming - all providers have this including Virgin Mobile

You can see that for O2 here https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse and for Virgin Mobile here https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/our-service#11

However that's different from any UK rules.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ARG1UK wrote:

So within 5 days of upgrading from Ultimate Oomph 500mb to Ultimate Volt 1gb (Not really a good deal for an exiting customer who's shown years of loyalty for what? nothing it seems. We pay more than £20 a month more than a new customer would for exactly the same deal! and Virgin think they are doing us a favour)  having been with Virgin many many years the icing on the cake or kick in the proverbials is today I get an email saying in March my bill is going up another £8.50! Less than 5 day after we agreed another 18 month contract, Virgin, I despair at you

merger? really? more akin to line our shareholders pockets it seems 😞  I'm disgusted at this

This won't help your mood, but I'll offer it up regardless.

0 Kudos
ARG1UK
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to virgin again today for what its worth, take it or leave it basically. 
The days of customer loyalty are long gone.

anyhow, after wasting another 90 minutes of my life ill never get back, id like to know something as all 3 of virgins representatives had no clue.

if the price i pay by direct debit each month is £110 includes £85 to Virgin and £25 to O2is taken as one payment, who pays O2 their £25 a month? As i dont have a direct debit with them! there is only 1 direct debit going out.

the advisor suggested i cancel my £25 a month sim i have to have to get my £30 a month more than a new customer price and buy a cheaper one, link that to my account and hey presto i can save another £15 a month on my price.

id like to know how thats possible with only 1 direct debit by virgin? Do I believe virgins advisors? No i don't

but maybe someone on here does know?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ARG1UK wrote:

id like to know how thats possible with only 1 direct debit by virgin? Do I believe virgins advisors? No i don't

You should have to do any of that - cancelling the existing O2 SIM and trying again won't help.

Volt bundles require at least two Direct Debits - one to Virgin Media for cable services and one to O2 for the SIM plan monthly amount along with any out bundle usage.

So if you don't have a Direct Debit set up for O2 I suggest you contact their customer services to resolve this - Virgin Media's Customer Services team don't have access to O2's billing system.

Details are:

From your O2 mobile202Free
From a landline0344 809 0202Standard UK rate
From abroad+44 7860 980 202Free†

† Free from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, other providers' charges may vary.

Nialli
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I experienced similar when “upgrading” to Volt. Worse, the O2 coverage in my area (London SE10) is only 3G (the coverage web page is inaccurate), so I was looking at paying a lot more for a lot less. There’s little point in unlimited data on a SIM where speeds are under 1Mb.

The OP’s comment about a “take it or leave it” response is spot on - I’ve been a customer since the NTL days of the 90s but would have left if I could have arranged a replacement broadband service at short notice. 

Fully empathise with the VM/O2 “support” line debacle. I wasted hours over Christmas trying to find someone who could actually help. Finally got someone at VM who was helpful and I’m back with a VM SIM and 4G service. 

But I’m not happy. I’ve received no new contract, not signed anything and I’ve still got an O2 DD pending later this month despite the service being cancelled. As business mergers go, VM O2 really has been a textbook on how NOT to do it. Loyal customers are being taken advantage of and the price increase is an unpalatable insult. 

I haven’t been notified of an increase - if I am, I’ll cancel. 

ARG1UK
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spot on, totally agree, we have been with them since NTL too and as you say, as mergers go Virgin/O2 is a good example of how not to do it, but what do they care? they don't give a hoot, stiff the loyal customers. 

Their phone lines went dead on 4 calls after Id been speaking to an advisor, pretty poor for a coms company when even their own system doesn't work

As one VM customer service agent told me, the cheap prices for new customers are to get them through the door,, and Loyal customers get a worse deal. HE them tried to tell me that its not that good a deal as they have to pay for installation,

until I pointed out that even with that taken into account spread over 18 months is still much cheaper that our deal at which point "Well its the best i can do" Tosh!

Re the lag  and latency, given Virgin don't care, I've also got Cambridge Fibre to install theirs broadband into my son's Gaming room, its lightning fast, no lag or latency so he can game without the Virgin rubbish.

0 Kudos