On our wavelength

What happens if you are not in your property on the switchover date ,thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

@simonb wrote:

If you are out when the phone is switched over I suspect you will simply come home to find the existing analogue socket no longer works.  Simply disconnect your landline phone from the old socket and plug it into the back of the broadband hub instead.  VM should provide an adapter cable.

If anyone has been trying to ring you they will just get ring tone with no reply.  If you have an answerphone plugged in it won't have picked up calls.  You could of course preempt things by moving it across before you go out.

A VM technician visit is probably not required.  If it is, I guess they will advise.

If you still want to use existing extension phone sockets around the house it is possible to wire/connect those into the hub.

There may well be countless different scenarios..

Does that answer the question?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi simonb 

Which switchover date do you mean?

Switching internet provider, or the phone line switching over to VM's fibre network from their traditional copper telephone network?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

FarTallKnight
Dialled in

The landline phone digital switch over is being rolled out from around now to be completed by 2027. This only affects landlines. Look up the PSTN switch-off! The old technology that powers landline telephones in the UK will be switched off in 2025. Landline operators in the UK will switch every home phone in the UK to an internet-based connection instead of a traditional copper-wire landline

It's arguably the biggest social project since analogue television was retired some 10 years ago: the UK's telephone network is also going digital. The telecoms industry has even set a deadline that's backed by the UK government – the old copper network will be switched off at the end of 2025. These changes will affect everyone who has or still uses a landline and they'd like to keep using; soon these will only work via a broadband connection instead referred to as 'VoIP' (VoIP, in full is "Voice over Internet Protocol") PSTN stands for public switched telephone network – it's the copper wire phone network that has delivered analogue landline phone services for several decades inherited from the old post office. The plan is for it to be switched off at the end of 2025 and for all landline services to be digital.  Estonia and the Netherlands have already switched off their PSTNs, France, Germany and Japan are also in the process of winding theirs down. The demise of the PSTN is linked to the roll-out of full fibre broadband in the UK, although the two aren't on the same timeline. While phone services will no longer use the copper network by the end of 2025, the aim is for full fibre coverage to reach 85% in the same year and I believe 100% by 2027.

If you weren't aware of plans to switch off the PSTN (public switched telephone network), you aren't alone. When telecare providers (who look after elderly and vulnerable with telecare alarms) surveyed a representative sample of more than 2,000 UK adults in March 2021, they found that 91% were unaware that all phone lines would become digital by the end of 2025. Your landline provider will get in touch with you when it's close to the time for you to choose if you want to continue with a landline or not. 

Short and curlies of it is: if you don't use a landline you've no need to be concerned, if you do then you may need an adaptor to plug it directly into your router or a new phone especially as some DECT phones might no longer work (DECT = Digital European cordless telecommunications) 

one downside is once we've all moved to the new digital system, although your landline will mainly work as it always has, although there'll be some differences – for example, it won't work if there's a power cut unless you have a battery backup. It is said in the community that nearly all of us have mobiles of some sort and question "Is it the end of the line for landline phones?" even the familiar phone box in the street is under review as expensive and outdated as you can't plug one of them into a router! 40% of us have stopped using a landline phone altogether, 4 million ditched the landline in 2021 and while 95% of over-65-year-olds still cling to a traditional landline phone, most don't even use it, nearly half of under-25s don't even have a landline installed at all. 

Dinosaurs eventually die out!

simonb
On our wavelength

hi - thanks for the reply - I meant the telephone switchover date - ta

g0akc
Problem sorter

@simonb wrote:

If you are out when the phone is switched over I suspect you will simply come home to find the existing analogue socket no longer works.  Simply disconnect your landline phone from the old socket and plug it into the back of the broadband hub instead.  VM should provide an adapter cable.

If anyone has been trying to ring you they will just get ring tone with no reply.  If you have an answerphone plugged in it won't have picked up calls.  You could of course preempt things by moving it across before you go out.

A VM technician visit is probably not required.  If it is, I guess they will advise.

If you still want to use existing extension phone sockets around the house it is possible to wire/connect those into the hub.

There may well be countless different scenarios..

Does that answer the question?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Ahmed87
Joining in

The switch-over has taken place at my house. An adapter was supplied, which is fine. The upstairs phone works but our various extension phones no longer work. I phoned Virgin, but I was told that extension phones cannot be used after the landline is plugged into the hub. I find this hard to believe. Was this advice correct? And, if not, is there anything we can do about it? My elderly mother who lives with me relies on the phone downstairs and so this needs to be adapted for her.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey Ahmed87, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear this.

However we can look in getting a tech out to make some suitable adjustment for you.

Please look out for my PM. Cheres 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

No worries at all, please do keep us updated on how it goes.

I hope you have a lovely rest of the day. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?