cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay for 30 days after end of contract

Dan212121
Joining in

My contract ends on the 13th or November I have requested it doesn't renew due to price increase. Is it right I will have to pay for another 30 days for this as they only sent my new price and terms to me only 10 days before the new contract starts. Surely this breaks so sort of legislation and only giving the customer 10 days notice of a massive price increase and then saying they have to pay at least for 30 days 20 of which is at thw higher price because the customer doesn't want to renew.

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a popular misconception that these contracts are fixed term which end on a particular date - this is not the case.

You have a rolling service-provision contract with a minimum term. It only ends 30days after you explicitly give disconnection notice.

So you need to give that notice 30days before the end of the minimum term.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I get that to a point however to inform the customer the the price for the service is dubble with only 10 days before the new price comes to effect surly then makes a somewhat blackmail situation. If a customer was warned and had time to say no to the new price before it was implemented I would fully understand but to only inform them 10 days beforehand is very ethically wrong and shouldn't be allowed. Especially with the living crises happening a company with this much reputation and size should know to inform there customers of such increases so they can stop a renewal.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dan212121 wrote:

I get that to a point however to inform the customer the the price for the service is dubble with only 10 days before the new price comes to effect surly then makes a somewhat blackmail situation. If a customer was warned

That's another misconception. Your contract price is almost certainly not increasing, but is continuing the same as it always has.

You likely have time-limited discounts that are expiring, and those (with expiry dates) are shown on your contract and every monthly bill

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Dan212121 wrote:

I get that to a point however to inform the customer the the price for the service is dubble with only 10 days before the new price comes to effect surly then makes a somewhat blackmail situation. If a customer was warned and had time to say no to the new price before it was implemented I would fully understand but to only inform them 10 days beforehand is very ethically wrong and shouldn't be allowed. Especially with the living crises happening a company with this much reputation and size should know to inform there customers of such increases so they can stop a renewal.

Looks like this is a loophole which might be down to some OFCOM latitude in the notice providers have to give to customers ...

Refer to page 125 A2.33 which says 10 to 40 days' notice should be given

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/148140/statement-helping-consumers-get-better-d...

but also refer to page 57 sections 6.15 to 6.20 inc which gives further info. With a date range of 10 to 40 days available, VM has opted to give the customer the absolute minimum amount of notice required.

This is the real issue. Regardless if it was a promotional offer or someone who was already with VM the issue still is. The policy saying you have 30 days notice to give when they give you 10 days notice of price change. 

For example if someone was paying a set figure and that's the maximum they can afford and it's not a promotion offer and then VM increases the price on renewal but only tells the customer 10 days before the change that customer is forced into having to pay the extra at least for the other 20 days after the price change. This is where the issue is especially with the living crisis happening even and increas of £10 a month could make people go hungry that week or have no heating.

This is what I have a problem with. 

On my issue yes I was on a promotion offer but I wasn't given a date in which it ended In this month I started the promotion at the end of a month but had to spend over 5hrs waiting to get that my contract ends on the 13th of this month its only then they said what the price would be. There is no information on any of the contract or information I signed or received when getting VM to the end date of my contract so again the 10 days notice was the main issue. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Dan212121 wrote:

This is the real issue. Regardless if it was a promotional offer or someone who was already with VM the issue still is. The policy saying you have 30 days notice to give when they give you 10 days notice of price change. 

For example if someone was paying a set figure and that's the maximum they can afford and it's not a promotion offer and then VM increases the price on renewal but only tells the customer 10 days before the change that customer is forced into having to pay the extra at least for the other 20 days after the price change. This is where the issue is especially with the living crisis happening even and increas of £10 a month could make people go hungry that week or have no heating.

This is what I have a problem with. 

On my issue yes I was on a promotion offer but I wasn't given a date in which it ended In this month I started the promotion at the end of a month but had to spend over 5hrs waiting to get that my contract ends on the 13th of this month its only then they said what the price would be. There is no information on any of the contract or information I signed or received when getting VM to the end date of my contract so again the 10 days notice was the main issue. 

Don't dispute the point your are making. I was just explaining how it seems to have come about. A supplier which chose to behave in an 'honourable' and 'ethical' way would give the customer sufficient notice to cancel up to the 40 days max. Unfortunately, OFCOM has left the door open for suppliers not to do this with the 10 day minimum and that is what VM has chosen to use, for obvious reasons.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dan212121 wrote:

Hi @Dan212121 

The date any promotional discounts end is shown on your contract, every monthly bill , and every billing  email notification - screen shots below.

contractcontractbill showing discount end datebill showing discount end dateemailemail

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali