Menu
Highlighted
Philip4242
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Opting-out of rank/badges system.

Although I hope to become more active within the community, I recently joined to get help with a specific problem, which was picked up and went to the Private Message system.

Whilst waiting for responses, I kept getting (what I consider to be) spurious Emails and Notifications about me having achieved this or that 'badge' or 'rank' within the community.

I'm not a fan of such systems and have been getting extremely frustrated with it, thinking that I had got an eagerly-awaited response about my problem.

I know about (and think I have selected the correct combination of) the options within My Community Profile to control such Notifications, but the Private Message Email Notifications keep on coming  !

So, it it possible for me to Opt-out of the rank/badges system completely ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opting-out of rank/badges system.

Hello

You can stop emails by going too https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile, but opting out of the ranking etc, it isnt possible.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Philip4242
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mike,

I may be looking in the wrong place, but all I can find where you suggest is a Toggle Button saying 'No emails please', with helpful information (!) saying 'We won't send you email notifications.', which seems far too wide a restriction, as I DO want to receive Emails about other Community subjects/actions, etc; just NOT those to do with the rank/badges system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid currently the only other options are https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions, there are some that say never.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Philip4242 wrote:

Mike,

I may be looking in the wrong place, but all I can find where you suggest is a Toggle Button saying 'No emails please', with helpful information (!) saying 'We won't send you email notifications.', which seems far too wide a restriction, as I DO want to receive Emails about other Community subjects/actions, etc; just NOT those to do with the rank/badges system.

If you go to the Notifications tab > Settings and scroll down to the bottom item 'Badges I earn' - you can select Never from the drop down box.  The default is immediately.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Philip4242
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Graham,

That's the very FIRST thing I did; but the unwanted Notifications seemed to keep on coming !

Perhaps they had been triggered JUST before I toggled/saved the option ?

Hopefully, when I get to what the system thinks is a 'milestone' for me, I'll see (or, rather, NOT see) the hoped-for result !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Philip4242
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've just received this Email

Hey Philip4242,You have a private message from: ModTeam

The subject is: Congratulations! You have a new rank in the Virgin Media Help & Support Community.

Sent on: 23-01-2020 11:44

There was also a 'Notification' waiting for me when I logged in, this morning.

So (for whatever reason), the 'System' appears to be ignoring my request that it ignores ME !!!

Could someone with the appropriate authority check that I have set all the applicable Options correctly, please ?

Note that it is ONLY the (presumably) system-generated Ranks/Badges Notifications/Alerts/Private Messages/Emails I want to NOT receive.

Thanks, Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i think the settings are for email's sent to your registered email address not private messages. I don't think you can filter what PM you get

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Under Edit Profile > My Preferences > Private messages you can opt out of receiving email notifications of new private messages.  Or you can turn private messages off completely.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Philip4242
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Graham,

I've noticed the Options you stated, thank you.

But, in an earlier Message, I put

'Note that it is ONLY the (presumably) system-generated Ranks/Badges Notifications/Alerts/Private Messages/Emails I want to NOT receive.'

So your suggestions won't achieve what I actually want.

0 Kudos