cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Call From VM

Declanworld
Fibre optic

I got a call from VM (08001836xxx) this evening.  The rep said she was returning a call in response to my enquiry. I told her I hadn't made one and she asked if was house number 21 - I said I was number 23 but the man in 21 has the same surname although we're unrelated.

It went a bit Monty Python when she then asked me if I wanted to do a deal anyway even though my contract ends in October.  I said okay and she offered to put me through and I agreed for the craic.

I ended the call when I was put through to the general VM suite of options and not directly to a deal-maker.  Anyway, I need to research VM alternatives before I properly engage but it makes me wonder if people are jumping ship in unusually high numbers.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Hero

Telephone scams are quite common, did you check for reports at :

https://who-called.co.uk/

I did check it before posting - it is a VM number.  This is the first time I've heard of innocent numbers being spoofed so I reckon the VM rep should've offered to pass my security checks.  If it was spoofed, the caller knew that me and the guy two doors down have the same surnames.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Anyway, I need to research VM alternatives before I properly engage but it makes me wonder if people are jumping ship in unusually high numbers.

In a word, yes.

Any sizeable price rise causes people to re-evaluate, and thus triggers a lot of losses (when customers have the option - next year's mongo price rise won't give customers that option due to the new VM T&Cs).  With so many of the big players announcing huge price rises, if all else is equal, that is a bit of a zero-sum game where existing customers churn out, but new ones join on the very highly discounted new customer offers, and it takes a few months to see who's won and who's lost.  BT changed their T&Cs last year, so most of their customers don't get the option to bail this year, and that means VM customers can bail, BT can't, and so VM are at risk of a net loss of customers, as well as the unfavourable effects of new customer pricing.

Last year VM put broadband prices up by 5.5%, and actual revenue per customer was down a couple of quarters later, so clearly VM lost then (and that before the BT terms changed).  But the battle isn't just about the offered price, it's about marketing - most people overlook the smaller ISPs who'll offer fixed price deals and twelve month terms, and instead go with the big names that endless TV adverts have etched onto their retinas.  Plenty of other ISP's customers are sitting on their couch, watching TV over an extra large pizza, thinking "my non-VM ISP is putting up prices at the end of my contract, I'll go to VM, as I've seen their adverts offering Squigabit internet, 1,000 channels of tripe, ten O2 sim cards, best-ever wifi, and a landline with unlimited calls for thirty quid"

So long as people agree to contracts with ludicrous baked in price increase schemes, the big players will ream them out.  In return many customers zig-zag between large ISPs, tolerating the crap service in return for massive up front discounts, now with an inflationary sting in the tail.  Those less savvy, those whose lives are too full to frat around switching suppliers, and the vulnerable, they'll just keep paying full price and be each ISP's most profitable customers.

My price increase this year?  Nil, because I'm with a smaller ISP.  

If I can ditch the landline (Martin Lewis has been very good publicising the ridiculously cheap mobile deals), I can get broadband and TV box elsewhere for dramatically less than the £75 I'll be paying in May for phone, 150MB broadband and TV Mix.