Menu
Ewart
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New customers

Why are VM forcing loyal customers out. I’ve lost my job and can’t afford my current package, I’d like to take advantage of a current offer for new customers but they won’t allow it. I must now change to another company after 30+ years with VM and ntl prior to that. Why do they treat loyal customers in this way?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New customers

Hello

Like most businesses this is pretty much a standard business practice to get new customer hooked, as new customer deals tend to at a lose to the businesses. You can call up and re-negotiate your contract but that would mean a new contract period which currently is 18mths, but you will not get a new customer deal.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Ewart wrote:

Why are VM forcing loyal customers out. I’ve lost my job and can’t afford my current package, I’d like to take advantage of a current offer for new customers but they won’t allow it. I must now change to another company after 30+ years with VM and ntl prior to that. Why do they treat loyal customers in this way?

cut your cloth accordingly.
you're not a "new" customer so not sure why you think you should be entitled to a new customer offer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Ewart
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike , yes I did contact them that’s how I found out I have to leave, change e-Mail etc. Cheers mate.
0 Kudos
Ewart
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have “to cut my cloth” through my unfortunate position of losing my employment. You appear to have the same unhelpful attitude as VM .

newapollo
Hero
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ewart,

sorry to hear you've lost your job. I hope something suitable turns up soon.

You don't say which department you spoke to. Normally people go through regrades, however they can't offer the same deals as the retentions(cancellations) department.

It's possible that if you keep contacting the cancellations team that they may be able offer you a better deal. Offers can change on a daily basis

You won't be offered the same as a new customer, but hopefully there will be some negotiation where you can find something suitable.

Or, if you can manage without the services for 3 months you can rejoin as a new customer.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BT, Sky and most other major ISPs will now allow existing customers to re-contract on new customer prices following pressure from Ofcom. Unfortunately Virgin is refusing to do the same.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgin-resists-ofcom-pressure-to-offer-loyal-customers-same-broad...

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

BT, Sky and most other major ISPs will now allow existing customers to re-contract on new customer prices following pressure from Ofcom. Unfortunately Virgin is refusing to do the same.

that makes no sense.
if they are allowing people to re-contract for the discounted price then all they are doing is making the discounted price the normal price. but being devious about it by not advertising that price as the normal price.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@cje85 wrote:

that makes no sense.
if they are allowing people to re-contract for the discounted price then all they are doing is making the discounted price the normal price. but being devious about it by not advertising that price as the normal price.

No, they still do special offers to tempt new customers, and existing customers can access these too. Sky had one recently and the advert specifically mentioned "get Sky broadband for only £x/month when you join or recontract before 31st July".

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you said existing customers can re-contract on the new customer pricing.

that means the new customer pricing is really the standard price, otherwise they wouldn't be giving it to existing customers. it also means that the new custom pricing can't really be "discounted" otherwise an existing customer would be paying discounted all the time (assuming they re-contract for the "new" deal all the time).

0 Kudos