cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer (or am I?)

SamiSamuel
Joining in

Hello all, we have Virgin Media Broadband in our family home. The Virgin Media Broadband only contract which is set to cancel on early Sep, and is under one of my siblings name. So I don`t have any access to his account nor the hassle would prove to be too much as my sibling is moving out and not interested in making it easy. We still have the Virgin Modem etc., until this policy is cancelled. I assume he will arrange for Virgin Media to collect the equipment relating to the policy under his name (its his responsibility). So my question is, to take out a new broadband contract out under my name with Virgin Media, do I just select the option of "New Customer" and just roll with this? As realistically I`m (me) a new customer but the house still has Virgin and again the new contract under my name will still be with Virgin - so slightly puzzled. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SamiSamuel wrote:

Hello all, we have Virgin Media Broadband in our family home. The Virgin Media Broadband only contract which is set to cancel on early Sep, and is under one of my siblings name. So I don`t have any access to his account nor the hassle would prove to be too much as my sibling is moving out and not interested in making it easy. We still have the Virgin Modem etc., until this policy is cancelled. I assume he will arrange for Virgin Media to collect the equipment relating to the policy under his name (its his responsibility). So my question is, to take out a new broadband contract out under my name with Virgin Media, do I just select the option of "New Customer" and just roll with this? As realistically I`m (me) a new customer but the house still has Virgin and again the new contract under my name will still be with Virgin - so slightly puzzled. Any help would be appreciated 🙂 

Firstly, contracts don't cancel themselves. It's just a minimum term, so at the end of the 12 or 18 months it becomes a monthly rolling contract. You have two options to take it over.

1) Change the existing account into your name at any time. No change of equipment, & you can renegotiate after the minimum term ends to get more discount for the next 18 months. No need to change equipment.

2) Cancel the old account & create one in your name. The issue you have is that you are currently living at the address of the new account, so VM will unlikely give you new customer deals unless there has not been a VM service at the address for 3 months minimum. New customer deals are sold at a loss to VM, so they are wary of households constantly cancelling & re-subscribing in partners names etc. It will also mean the existing equipment will have to be returned & a self-install kit issued with the new contract.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Okay thanks. I should have been more clear. So he has cancelled the contract in its entirety eg., we will have no broadband come early Sep and has confirmed the date. That makes sense, I will just proceed with the new customer option then. Would you know if VM deliver the kit for the new contract next day delivery, as am just judging when this week I should get the contract. Lastly, by self-install kit for the new contract is that fairly easy to install? Thanks in advance 🙂