cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IP address request

nickraycfc
Joining in

How do I get a new IP address as I haven't been able to send emails for months and recently discovered it is banned. I have checked all my devices for malware and there doesnt appear to be any reason why my address is banned. Help Virgin please? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can't get a new IP address from VM unless;

1 - Your Hub is broken and you get a new one.

2 - VM re-segment your local network to fix an over subscribed area.

3 - You use Modem mode and get your own Router.

You really should get your IP cleared off the Blacklist, otherwise some other user can end up with it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Richard1959
Dialled in

While you are sorting the problem out use a VPN to send your emails as that will change the IP address.

Another even more simple method which often works (Not sure about VM) is to unplug your router and leave it switched off for a reasonable period of time perhaps even a day or two, Switching off the router releases the IP address so when you switch it on again its seeks and connects via a new IP address.

If the above fails then ring VM and go through to technical support and I am sure they will be able to change it for you remotely.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not issue a new IP if you ask them.  Turning off the Hub will not work either, VM differ from say, BT in that the DHCP lease is very "sticky" and you will get the same IP back again. 

The OP really needs to get the IP address removed from the Blacklists, and find out why it was banned in the first place.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks