Menu
CharlieDM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Cabinet Installed Bad Location

Virgin has been cabling my street this week and this morning I woke up to a brand new street cabinet just outside my house. The cabinet was supposed to be installed about 1.5mt along the road, between my and a neighbouring property (there are even street markings showing where it was supposed to go), but instead it popped up in front of mine. This is an issue as it causes problems with parking and getting the baby carrier in and out of the car. I would like it to be installed where it originally was supposed to go. The building crew is still on the street, but they "are just doing what they are told". I contacted customer services, but I would like for them to fix the issue while the crew is still on my street. Any idea who to contact to sort this out quickly?

Thanks

C

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Cabinet Installed Bad Location

unfortunately the pavement is not your property and they will have the relevant permits from the council to install the cabinets.

providing it is not blocking an existing driveway then there will be very little you can do about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
CharlieDM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Shouldn't they have installed it on the correct position? I would have been fine had it been installed where they were the street markings were.

As it stands it is a big annoyance.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it's possible the original proposed position couldn't be used due to other logistical issues.
as said, unless it's blocking an already existing driveway then there won't be anything you can really do about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

CharlieDM
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, it would have been nice at least to have had a warning from them that they were installing it somewhere else... oh well

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Certainly I understand, if the box is on public property then VM do not have to inform anybody the work permit from the council would allow the siting somewhere within the utility space.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apart from protected areas VM does not require planning permission for installing new street cabinets as they come under permitted development, although councils do expect minimal impact on residents. Unless a big cabinet is a health or safety hazard (most unlikely), is located in front of your dropped kerb (most unlikely) or is blocking most of the light into your front room it won't be moved.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos