cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network expansion test customers

nufclad147
Joining in

Hi Virgin have just laid cable in my street which is Northumberland area. I have read on a fiber forum that In order to test network expansion areas virgin may seek test customers and offer free services for 6 months providing they answer service questioners. Would it be possible to get a contact email or number to speak to someone who would be interested in having my details in order to volunteer to receive free services for testing new inferstructer.

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far a I understand the trial of XG-PON areas is complete and new customers with this type of connection are not being offered any incentives, they are just being treated as normal customers. Don’t forget the only TV option currently with this new setup is a Stream box, you are only allowed one and there is no recording facility. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

You are very insightful but could you explain things to me as if I was a fetus, I'm aware via the contractor street diggers that the properties in my street will be connected to the network using the telegraph poles I have noticed black boxes added lately to the posts, would I be correct in thinking that the wire used from the post to properties will be optic and not copper.??

Also when you state that the only service with this type of XG-PON is a stream box and only one allowed why is this ? Is this permanent?. I can only think that the VM stream box only service is due to market forces in that how Sky is moving away from dish to its streaming only service that been Sky Glass plus puck service as well as Skys love child the app based Now TV  or is their other reason why the newly expanded VM networks are restricted to stream box services only with one box quota ??

nufclad147
Joining in

After a bit of reading I think I have reasoned as to why VM cannot offer a full TV service with recorder box and bundled router. I think I am correct that this equipment works of coaxial cable within the premises and the new XG-PON network utilises optics thus only a new streaming box product exists for now. Also different optic modem is installed in house. That would answer my own question that optic cable would be used from telegraph poles to the premises. I read efforts are also been made by VM to upgrade older inferstructer the so called fiber copper hybrid to total optic.

I live alone even 1gig speed is to much for my current needs let alone 10 but the one thing this all arriving in my street does offer is more competitive almost affordable contract free rolling month Skysports TnT sports pass products I think doing the maths it even beats Now TV pricing.